Corona - noises just aren’t right

I’ve been trying to go out for a daily walk but finding myself visually overwhelmed, things seem to be extra vivid. One thing I’m finding exceptionally difficult is the noise. That might sound weird as there are less cars rumbling along, less people, less industrial work etc. I’m finding I just can’t cope with birds tweeting, the howling wind - these noises just aren’t right & don’t follow the rules of daily living in the current climate. It’s all wrong. Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?

• Hi! I’m just testing a pair that I bought around the house so I can get an idea of how they affect certain noises, tones and frequencies. I may try another short walk tomorrow along a road but where there are no driveways in case they impair hearing to an extent where I could put myself in danger. I’ve been wary of these so far as it means I’ll in effect lose this sense which might then impact detrimentally on my others. But, I guess if I don’t try, I won’t know!

• Thanks for the reply, and I think I see what you mean. It’s a shame this happens as ordinarily I think natural noises are good for you to hear.

• have you tried wearing earplugs, or listening to music whilst you walk?

• I’ve been trying to go out for a daily walk but finding myself visually overwhelmed, things seem to be extra vivid. One thing I’m finding exceptionally difficult is the noise. That might sound weird as there are less cars rumbling along, less people, less industrial work etc. I’m finding I just can’t cope with birds tweeting, the howling wind - these noises just aren’t right & don’t follow the rules of daily living in the current climate. It’s all wrong. Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?

With the usual societal noise being gone; it is no longer providing the distraction and balance it once did with the comparative silence of nature.

What with also the sense of apprehension permeating the human airwaves of our sense and sensibilities currently ~ your sensitivities may have become by degree hyper-accentuated, and the comparative silence of nature has become as if deafening, with the bird-song piercing and other things jarring and so fourth.

When we lose sense of one sensibility ~ our other sensibilities gain that functional sensitivity and increase receptivity, as is referred to as being sensory compensation. So it seems pretty much as if you are experiencing a case of which, quite possibly.

• Very much so, not that my world is ever ‘normal’

• I do understand that right now. Nothings as it was. It's a strange world right now

• Mostly I don’t like change, I think collectively all the change together been a bit much rather than just the sounds.

• I love nature so I love the sounds right now but I understand its different and can cause concern for you

• I didn’t like it the other day so I’ve stayed in since :-/