First assessment - telling a story with 5 objects

Hi,

I’ve recently had my first autism assessment (online) and towards the end of it I was asked to tell a story with 5 objects I’d chosen. I chose the first 5 things that happened to be on the sofa next to me. I was asked to tell a story with them & I just couldn’t. I told the assessor this & she said it was ok. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Parents
  • The book is designed to tell the assessment interviewer how your brain works. People with Autism don't see a story, just a book of random pages. I had the same test and the story made little sense to me, in fact, I didn't see a story at all. I was too busy looking for patterns and small details. I thought frogs on Lilypads were absurd. Autistic people have a problem with abstract ideas and you can't get more abstract than this book. The fact I was bogged down in the details obviously meant something to them. Don't feel like a failure because you are meant to fail, if you have autism. I Googled the book test after they had been and found that it can tell them a mountain of stuff about the way your brain works. I didn't see any story because there were no words. It was so abstract that it meant nothing to me, apart from noticing the small details and patterns in the bushes, stars and clouds. There are two details in particular that they are looking for and I won't tell you what they are because it will compromise your test. I didn't see either of them. I guess every single person will have a different take on the book and that is fine. There is no failing.

• The book is designed to tell the assessment interviewer how your brain works. People with Autism don't see a story, just a book of random pages. I had the same test and the story made little sense to me, in fact, I didn't see a story at all. I was too busy looking for patterns and small details. I thought frogs on Lilypads were absurd. Autistic people have a problem with abstract ideas and you can't get more abstract than this book. The fact I was bogged down in the details obviously meant something to them. Don't feel like a failure because you are meant to fail, if you have autism. I Googled the book test after they had been and found that it can tell them a mountain of stuff about the way your brain works. I didn't see any story because there were no words. It was so abstract that it meant nothing to me, apart from noticing the small details and patterns in the bushes, stars and clouds. There are two details in particular that they are looking for and I won't tell you what they are because it will compromise your test. I didn't see either of them. I guess every single person will have a different take on the book and that is fine. There is no failing.

Children
No Data