Police are dangerous for those on the autistic spectrum

Police do not understand autism and will readily interpret our unusual actions as criminal wherever possible, especially if they think they can make a financial benefit from doing so.

I am keen to try and help educate the police and legal system and look for opportunities

Birmingham tried to do something useful a few years ago but it never got progressed https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/557/adults_with_autism_and_the_criminal_justice_system_november_2012.pdf

• Just one person doing this project at present, but money being asked for to fund matters further - ? for her employment in a very large research group at Cambridge ART, or what exactly. Previous reports on autism have not made a significant impact on the court system

• I was doing both GP and anaesthetist. One of the last ones in the UK able to do both subjects. I worked too much

• Did you reply to my question regarding anaesthesia?    you say you was a gp....then you say you was a Doctor and an anaesthetist?     im curious which one?

• Amazing you knew this. Aaappp has only existed for 4 weeks and the only person I can see involved is a single Russian man. What is it all about really?  Do you know?nice website, but nothing to validate anything.

it is not clear what are the motives behind the organisation and it is a limited company, but does not trade. Why is it not a charity?

sorry always suspicious about Internet scams and look t too much detail.

• You are spot on right with all 3 points. I got a criminal record for online harassment of someone who would not leave me alone. Not to sound like a reverse victim but in my case I was taken advantage of by someone who wouldn't leave me alone by demonstrating a range of behaviours which resulted in me retaliating by annoying them back online. My lawyer said that my crime was being a nuisance to her and those around her, but nowadays this is classified as criminal.

I made a counter complaint demonstrating what the "victim" had done to me and it was all ignored and covered up by the police. I was an easy target to be prosecuted for online harassment due to not knowing that what once was a two way street had been all twisted against me. As you may know one part of autism is a lack of empathy and for my incident being purely over the internet it was even harder for me to even realise I had upset the person who was annoying me for years. The police got an easy conviction out of me. Had they acted in the interest of true justice, they would have looked stupid and lost money to have spent so much prosecuting me only to find out that we were both as bad as each other.

I wanted to put forward a defence that explained all of my charges with logical reasoning but my lawyer said that it was risky to face witnesses in court who could lie, and that the best option for me was to admit guilt to some things including more which I had not even done just because the prosecution offered a plea bargain. The police are not the only ones in the wrong here it is politicians policy which filters down to the prosecution, court and police level and like you mentioned in point 3, this is one way of showing the public tha they are dealing with the countries problems rather than stopping real crimes like people being robbed, attacked, property vandalised etc.

I was left feeling suicidal for 2.5 years because of this, being arrested and put in a cell for a whole day, having all my computers taken from my home, having my name in the papers as a stalker, attending court at least 10 times, not knowing if I was going to jail for all that time, having to pay a lawyer £192 per hour until I left my job and got legal aid. I recently graduated with a masters degree in engineering but since this case I have not worked a day since and don't plan to again, no one will employ me and I will never progress, I will never pay my £30k student loan back to the public. I have been claiming benefits ever since. No wonder the economy is in a bad state when someone being offended online takes precedency over someone that could have contributed to the country.

• (  Thank You for posting & I am glad to see that it was a mistake rather than meant maliciously... However... Because of this flagrant carelessness... I AM going to very VERY severely... UPVote both of You, Mwa-Ha-ha-ha... (!)  )

• Police can be dangerous for anyone, even not for those on the autistic spectrum. AAAPPP is one of the organizations working with victims of police abuse. 

• Thanks for this, nice to know things are happening.

• Guessing I noticed and removed it before you saw it. This has got to be one of my more confusing apologies Slight smile

• Naturally I removed it as soon as I realised

• On a laptop with trackpad, if I change pressure slightly while moving the cursor it reads it as clicking the mouse. This was the source of downvote  mentioned above.

At least I assume that's how it happened, didn't notice at the time.

• What do you mean? your mouse pad is a little sensitive? what are you alluding to?

• down vote was accidental, wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it so thanks Slight smile

Sorry Slipstream, mouse-pad is a little sensitive, will be more careful.

• 3. Autism and the criminal justice system

Tackling a sensitive but incredibly important topic, this research will look to inform us about possible reasonable adjustments that could be made in order that lawyers, judges and the court system conduct fair trials when autistic individuals are involved.

Autism research trust/

• misunderstanding autistic use of a scam website

...Another new factor. I meant all of what I said before, but this, again, is another new aspect, again, and I feel that My replies before now make Me look foolish. (Again.) 

Perhaps a separate Thread about THIS new introduced aspect - "Autistic use of scam websites" - would gain more helpful responses, than just the general title of "Police are dangerous for those on the Autistic Spectrum".

(Also there is a "downvote" for simply asking a question which, had the question not been asked, this new angle about "scam websites" might not have been stated.)

...In general, the police do act upon the Law, and if a person has fallen for a Scam (e.g. Websites which take Money illegally from an account), then further action is required by Police or Victims or Supporters to expose the fact that the Victim had been Scammed in the first place. Upon the Internet this is ridiculously difficult, but it is the way that this (awful) Internet/WWW business works with the Law at large.

Good Luck, still. Not sure what else to say after this, unless more is to come. I do recommend starting another Thread, though, and it should progress *very* differently from this one and should attract much more pertinant answers.

• First time I’ve been on the receiving end of their aggressiveness, which I think was all based on misunderstanding autistic use of a scam website 

• Can i ask?  is this the first time youve encountered the police/? or are you known to them at all?

• Police see themselves as being above the law. Try to get them to understand people, but no hope . They have their own opinions and can be extremely unfair and aggressive www.birmingham.gov.uk/.../adults_with_autism_and_the_criminal_justice_system_november_2012.pdf