Agoraphobia

I've hardly been outside in the last 6 months and some things like getting things repaired or the doctors, i've not been to in 5 years depsite needing to have things seen to or repaired. I'm aware of why I don't want to go outside or interact, but am someahtw blocked at addressing the issue. I don't have anyone I can turn to for help in this matter. Has anyone had similar experience an dhow did you overcome them/it please ? Thaks

• Wow. I badly need to go to the doctors too.  Need tests carried out. For me it started with social anxiety due to the pain of my failed interactions.  I got into my mind that i needed a break from all the socializing and everything that comes with it. But then it became months and months and then years.  To be honest i've spent most of my life avoiding social interactions.  Around the age of 30 i decided i needed to go out there. Needed to push myself. After three years of pushing i'd had enough and went back to my old self.  So now i have my autism, my mental health and physical health all toxically interacting with each other and leaving me an exhausted wreck.  An attractive friend i've met online wants to meet me in April and i even see that as a negative because i won't be able to go! Not unless i sort myself out completely in 2 or 3 months.

I said to her "at least i'm still alive"

• Hello

Following on from the community responses, I have posted some information that you may find could help you in your current situation.

You may find it useful to have a look at our Community Care page on our website. The page contains information about community care services, at home or in the community, that may be available to you:http://www.autism.org.uk/about/benefits-care/community-care.aspx

You may want to search for services in your area that cater for people with an autism spectrum disorder on our Autism Services Directory: www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx

I hope you find this useful

Best wishes

Lorraine Mod

• I'm glad I was able to help in some way. That's very true.

• Yes, it's a predicament, isn't it. Hello to you too. There's only so many times one can't put your hand into a fire before you've no appetite for it or no hand left. Burns hurt more whilst they heal than the initial contact, and there's the inevitable change that occurs. It's funny that if the Doctors surgery had a physical obstacle course in order to access the reception then there would be uproar, but yet they have automatic doors, reserved seating, ramps instead of steps. 

• I feel for you and identify.  I also spends months on end not going out and avoiding social life in particular. Although because i am that way myself i don't really know how to help.  I just wanted to say hello.

• that's given me some idea of the steps i'll need to take, thanks, it's ironic that in order to get help that you need to be able to do and cope with quite a lot

• Hi - I'm sorry to hear you're struggling at the moment. Have you tried calling your doctor to request a home visit? Some GPs will go to you if you're unable to leave the house. If you don't get any help from the GP surgery, you could call 111 and explain your situation - they might be able to give you some general medical advice and let you know if there's anyone who can come out to you.

In terms of getting support with your agoraphobia, you can usually self-refer online to your local NHS mental health service. Many services offer telephone or online counselling, so you won't necessarily need to leave the house.

You could also contact the Citizens' Advice Bureau to see if you're entitled to any support with doing day-to-day activities.

I hope you feel better soon and are able to get the support you need.