Getting diagnosed on the NHS

Hi I am Rob and I am 50 and think I am autistic and was wondering about getting a diagnosis. I have booked a GP's appointment to start the process. On the A50 test I got 40 so there is a good prospect of me being diagnosed. I must admit the older I get the more mental issues I come up againt.

I have some very strong indicators, particually perfering things to people and being odsessive about those things. I am an obsessive plane spotter and would rather spend a week doing that than going on holiday with my wife. I didn't have children by choice because I knew I would not cope.Yet some traits I do not have, like I always get jokes and sarcasam.

I have a wife of 15 years and have always had a job. Although god knows how I have been married that long. I now get why my wife says that I say things in a wrong, or upsetting, way, to me I am just saying something, but not in a certian way.  I think getting a diagnosis would give me some closure on why I am like I am.

Would be interested to know about your NHS diagnosis experiences

Rob

Parents
  • This website gives some good educational stories about life on the spectrum, but you need to ask yourself what would you gain from a formal diagnosis. There is not consistent agreement about diagnosis often, but knowing your personality is important to explain how you function and hopefully keep well and out of trouble. Your wife may find you difficult to manage but hopefully you can find a good solution between you. 

Planning your retirement with your wife is essential and important. When my job went I went to pieces and found life very difficult

• Hi I think a diagnosis would just be for me to explore what goes on in my head and how it explains things. I may not share a diagnosis widely, most people do not need to know. I am still going to be the same person so any diagnosis will have little impact on me day to day.

I have been made redundant three times in my lfe, and actually want it this time as I want to leave anyway. I would retire tomorrow to be honest, I will have plenty to do. I am already getiing imposter syndrome becuase outwardly I have a pretty normal life as I have always had a job (Except for about 18 months in the early 90's), mortgage, wife and have travelled a lot. In my head it is very diffrent.

Next thing I want to explore is meeting similar people face to face.

• In Dorset we have a monthly meeting in a social forma way, which is very nice for those with ASD, even at your stage. We have talks about relevant subjects

Reply Children
No Data