Daughters diagnosis hint that Im also on spectrum

• My daughter was recently diagnosed as ASD, CAHMS person suggested daughter and Dad are, "alike". I see her triggers and behaviours in a new light, it could explain a lot from my past and present. I wasn't bothered that everyone else was different I had my ways off navigating awkward situations etc... But the suggestion it's me that's a little different has thrown me.  I always knew I perceived stuff different so is there any benefit to formalising a diagnosis at mid 40's? Apart from giving her someone close to relate too
  • These things seem to run in families.  Smiley

A late diagnosis has pros and cons - it will explain your behaviours to yourself and may be of use in a work environment if, at a later date, life becomes too complicated and you start to burn out - it can be the basis for asking for adjustments in your environment to help you.      Conversely, a disclosure at work can damage your career as people might suddenly see you as 'faulty' or unpredictable so your career path can go South pretty quickly.      It might even be used against you to get you to leave.     

You might want to stick around here and compare your difficulties with the subjects of the threads to see if you notice similarities.    A bit of self-analysis will help you make the decision to get a diagnosis.   

Btw - the NHS diagnosis path for adults can be 18 months to 3 years - if you have company healthcare, it might cover a private diagnosis - that can be done in a couple of weeks!.      Paying for private can cost around £2000 - shop around - it varies considerably.

I was diagnosed at 42 when it was apparent that I couldn't adapt fast enough to keep up with the changes of my growing daughter (she was 8) so it was causing difficulties - and a friend's wife (a teacher) mentioned I had a lot of the traits.     I was diagnosed with Asperger's a few weeks later because my company heath plan paid for everything.

Good luck.