Stimming

Hey, I was just stimming away and wondered if anyone else has any weird stims they do? Even without realising? Here are some of mine: 

• I rub my fingers on my eyelashes constantly. I’ve done this since I was a baby. I love the feeling of it on my fingers and  knuckles, but also the slight pain I get in my eyes and eyelids! 
  • When I’m walking anywhere I will tap my fingers to my thumb one by one really quickly. 
  • I will often sit in really weird positions so that I can feel my joints being stretched to their limits (when I’m really stressed it feels as though it’s to the point they could break). This could be sitting with my leg over my shoulder, laying over the end of my bed so my back is arched with the back of my head on the floor
  • Rubbing my hands on things like carpets, brick walls, hot radiators
  • Purposely causing my body to cramp for the pain release when it eases off 
  • Tapping my fingers on walls and doors as I walk past

i sound a bit of a weirdo really...

• I have several stims too but i had no idea what i was doing was stimming, until i started looking into aspergers. 

A few of mine

- wiggling my toes, i do this a lot, especially in bed

- touching hair, head, and face

- skin picking, especially fingers, face and head. I just had an infection in my finger the past 2 weeks because i picked it so much it got infected

- at home i make weird noises, ive only done this once at work accidentally

- bouncing left leg

- in meetings i doodle a lot

- teeth grinding and biteing tongue, inside of my cheek, and sometimes chew my bottom lip

- cracking my fingers/knuckles

• Oh wow - I do the moustache thing too!

• I actually prefer my tangle to my fidget cube (cos I like to pick my hair and the tangle is more similar to that), but I suppose a fidget cube is more discreet. I like the on off switch best on the fidget cube. The fidget cube is quite loud though

• Fidget cubes I had never heard of until now they look soothing. 

• I have a few I am finding that out slowly as only now I'm beginning to recognise them, as a child I would drive people crazy they would literally shout at me. 

• crossing my legs really tightly (more like wrapping them around each other), sitting with my toes folded right under my feet (this one really creeps people out for some reason, maybe because I am hypermobile and my toes bend further back than people think they should??), rocking, pulling hair, and when I am really concentrating I put my hair across my face above my mouth like a moustache apparently! I don't notice I am doing it, but my work colleagues know it as a sign that I am really absorbed in something and they are therefore unlikely to get any response out of me!

• I'm investing in a fidget cube so that I can stim in public

• I never realised that was stimming! I've done that since I was a toddler, and have been given mouth guards for it, which I've ground my way through

• I like to stand on the outer edges of my feet instead of the soles. I've liked doing it for as long as I can remember. I was standing in the kitchen cooking and just realised I have stood like this for about 20 minutes. 

• I think teeth grinding is one that many of us do without even realising. It's a hard thing to stop too........plus bad for teeth.

• Also, I bite the tip of my tongue and twiddle with string or elastic to keep my fingers occupied.

• I do this too. And it's very satisfying if I wake up with crusty eyes due to hay fever, rubbing the crust away. 

• I treat sitting on an ordinary chair like a rocking chair. It's impossible for me to stay still whenever I'm sitting down.

Whenever I scratch a part of my body, I scratch the mirror-opposite position on the other side.

Plus, there's teeth-grinding.

And - TMI Warning - I pick my bellybutton with a finger and smell it afterwards. It's like what I R Baboon did.

• Ooh, and picking mascara off my eyelashes! I've lost clumps of eyelashes to this one.

• It's really interesting to hear other people's stims :) Here are some of mine:

• Rubbing my hands against fabric, especially if it's soft/fluffy (e.g. clothes, carpets etc.).
    • Skin picking/biting - I tend to attack my thumbs and my lips the most, and it's worst when I'm nervous (this isn't a very good stim; my thumbs and lips get sore and bleed sometimes).
    • Flexing my hands as I walk.
    • Messing with things like elastic bands, fidget toys (especially the Tangle) and putty.
    • Rocking (I reserve this one for when I'm on my own!).
    • Hand flapping (also when alone).
    • Jigging my leg (e.g. when sitting at a desk).

There are probably more, but I don't even realise I'm doing these things most of the time :)

• I've got loads (I always thought it was down to anxiety)... Twiddling of hair, bending and straightening of fingers one at a time, foot tapping, in bed I tap my feet together, pick skin on my hands and head. My most common one is to pick my teeth, pushing my nails in the gaps etc. I tap a lot and when I'm really stressed I will press my fingers against my car keys to feel some pain :) 

• I play with/flick my hair to read and to to type long messages Shrug

• Hi, 

I am new to this site, or new to post. I have done a few of those, but am not hypermobile, I quite often stretch my neck and put my leg right out of my bed because I find the cracking of my hip relaxing. 

I have in the past and still do, find myself pulling eyebrow hairs out, and well as rubbing them. I find that quite relaxing. Same with hair, I find myself twisting my hair, even as a man I don’t have that much!

When anxious in social situations I have found myself sitting on my hands and rocking back and forth. I don’t know if that is for warmth. I also do other things with my hands, but am new to it as it was noted by someone else.

i also do the touching walls as I walk past, is like an overwhelming urge, I don’t know why we do that!

it is quite funny what people do to relax!

• I found out that I love stones. This summer I built a rockery in my garden.  I spent some years preparing and collecting the stones.  Some were given to us by elderly people who couldn't maintain their garden any more.  There are some really big ones, and i discovered I enjoyed the tactile part when i had to put the stones in place. Some of them had to be rolled into place.   I can't really describe it.  They are really satisfying to move into place and pat.  I have a gemstone that i keep in my pocket that is polished, but the big granite stones in the rockery (most are granite, some are other kinds) are just a beauty i can't put into words.