Don’t have any friends

Just wondering if anyone else doesn’t have any friends at all or is that just me?

Parents
  • Oh no it is definitely not just you. I don't have any friends, what puzzles me is that I kinda think I'm ok with that. In order to not keep squishing me into a social norm that I just didn't fit I seem to have removed myself from it entirely; I didn't do it consciously to begin with but it is now quite obvious that is what I've done. 

I would like to chat from time to time with other people like me but I think I would rather be alone than be uncomfortable and feel like I have to perform the 'normal person act'. 

Having said that the excessive amounts of time I spend with only myself are probably having a detrimental effect on my mental health. I can't keep it up I suppose but I don't know what to replace it with. 

• This is Monkey. He'll love you and never leave you. He's also an excellent listener. (He's a bit rough around the edges now, but he is 17 years old, spends most nights squished in my left armpit, and doesn't particularly like baths.)

I guess it depends what friends are for:

1. To comply with social norms (i.e. So you can say, "Yes, I have friends.")
    2. For emotional support (which I get, in part, from this forum)
    3. For practical help (Monkey couldn't help me move house, but I could pay a removal company)
    4. To enjoy shared experiences (movies, jokes, sunsets... whatever floats your boat, this seems important to NTs)
    5. To fend off the bullies (there's something to be said for safety in numbers)
    6. To not be alone (I do get lonely sometimes, but don't tell Monkey—he'd be hurt if he knew)

Have I missed anything?

• This is Monkey.

And a very lovely Monkey he is too Hugging

Have I missed anything?

I don't think so but then I might not be the best person to ask Rofl

Thank you, Nessie. Blush

Reply Children