Christmas presents

Does anyone else find the whole present thing pointless ? Why doesn't everyone keep their money and buy stuff they want for themselves ?

So much pressure to find just the right gift and to respond to what you are given positively regardless of If you actually like it or not !

Parents
  • I just give people money. They can get what they want then. I honestly don't give to recieve, so I hope they get something nice.

I actually like Christmas. It's good to catch up with some family members and friends.

• By the time my age was in double figures, money was what I preferred to receive, to be honest. I was never very good at the "surprise" element of receiving presents - the ones that I liked were rarely all that surprising (I guess I had pretty obvious "special interests" already), and the ones which were surprising were surprising because I couldn't work out why anyone would think I would like them!

I used to get a lot of satisfaction out of saving any money I received, plus my pocket money and paper-round/odd-job wages, so that I could buy things for myself which would have been far too expensive for relatives to afford to buy as Xmas or birthday presents, and which would be exactly the things that I'd spent hours researching the pro's and con's of. Although I was sometimes rather jealous of the presents which friends from more well-off families got given, I did take a lot of pride in foregoing instant gratification so that I could have some of the same luxuries they did. Given that autism seems to have somewhat restricted my earning power throughout my adult life, I'm rather glad that I picked up that ethos when I was still young - living frugally comes naturally to me!

• By the time my age was in double figures, money was what I preferred to receive, to be honest. I was never very good at the "surprise" element of receiving presents - the ones that I liked were rarely all that surprising (I guess I had pretty obvious "special interests" already), and the ones which were surprising were surprising because I couldn't work out why anyone would think I would like them!

I used to get a lot of satisfaction out of saving any money I received, plus my pocket money and paper-round/odd-job wages, so that I could buy things for myself which would have been far too expensive for relatives to afford to buy as Xmas or birthday presents, and which would be exactly the things that I'd spent hours researching the pro's and con's of. Although I was sometimes rather jealous of the presents which friends from more well-off families got given, I did take a lot of pride in foregoing instant gratification so that I could have some of the same luxuries they did. Given that autism seems to have somewhat restricted my earning power throughout my adult life, I'm rather glad that I picked up that ethos when I was still young - living frugally comes naturally to me!

Children
  • I remember getting skinny jeans from someone one year. Hilarious! Aftershave too! Lol. Well at least the thought counts!

Yeah, sometimes the cash helps people buy things I'd never imagine to buy, or have no clue what I'm buying. My ex always used to buy oil painting stuff, and weird chalks I know nothing about. It's better to put it in the persons hands. They could be saving up, or really need the cash for something. Cash is always best.