Fraud?

My last post today. I'm sorry for so much posting activity lately.

It's been mentioned by a gp and a therapist that I may be on the spectrum. I was all for diagnosis but was told no service in my area.now there is but even the questions to find out if I'm viable for assessment were too much for me. Their so open to many possible answers. I came out overwhelmed. 

For the first time in my life I feel like theres other people like me (this forum) I'm not just odd. I'm not an alien or been adopted. I cried when I realised im pretty sure im on the spectrum.

Now the thing is in my head im sure I have aspergers but also worry that im a fraud as I dont have a bit of paper to say so. Can I say I have aspergers if I dont get diagnosis? I dont think I could cope with the diagnosis. I struggled getting my son through his

• I explained to friends today as I drank a bit too much this weekend (I never do as I dont like losing control) I was stimming in public and sensory seeking! I wanted to cry when they mentioned it. I'm still horrified and want to hide :( I usually stim in toilets if I'm out so no one can see. Or in my locked bedroom at home. I carry a crystal for sensory but people think that's normal 

• Thank you bookworm. Yes he is. Whilst growing up I understood alot of his behaviours I think back now it's because I have them too! His dad struggled to know what to do or why he acted the way he did. I remember a nursery teacher telling me my son bumps into children. She presumed it was aggressive. I asked her to demonstrate then said I think hes trying to make friends....turns out that he was

• if your son has an ASC it may be hereditary? Therefore if you have quirks and autistic traits i'd say you probably are, don't feel a fraud you are who you are and your son may well have inherited it from you anyway, not sure if this helps?

• Hi mouse2. I'm not seeking a professional diagnosis. I know that the assessment would be too stressful. Even going to the gp is stressful enough! I couldn't cope with repeated visits, especially talking about myself. I know I'd probably end up just saying one word answers. However I know, having done plenty of research and reading other people's experience on here, that I am on the spectrum somewhere. I don't openly shout about it but I have mentioned it to a few people. If I ever had a situation at work I couldnt cope with, I would mention it to my manager who would probably be understanding. So far I have not come across a situation where I need to "prove" I'm autistic. Some people on here have had to do that with their employers. Some people want to have it on paper that they are autistic. It's up to you and what you are comfortable with. 

• Hi there.  I've been recently diagnosed myself, and even though I now have it on paper that I'm ASD I still feel like a fraud.  I suppose this is the reason they call it a spectrum, it affects different people in different ways and to varying degrees.

The initial information gathering part was the hardest for me.  Being a quiet, private person, I did find it hard to talk about things that I normally keep hidden, even from myself.  The assessment was not easy either mind you, I felt quite self conscious and awkward at several of the tasks they set for me, I had to kept reminding myself that this was probably the point, to see how you react in situations that take you out of your comfort zone rather than to ridicule or belittle.