Autism and Open University

Hi everyone,

To provide a little context I have attempted to make headway into the world of academia on multiple occasions (school, college and uni) and in every instance have dropped out. It is only due to a recent diagnosis of ASD and personal research that I have identified this as the real cause of my failings. I have been working against myself (resulting in unbearable anxiety) and not playing to my strengths it seems.

I consistently feel frustrated that I am not able to use my brain for anything constructive, but now I know what has been holding me back I am considering returning to some form of study. Having done some research, it seems a course focusing on computing may be best for me as it is something I am interested in and a lot of other people with ASD seem to find success in this area. I also think going down the open university route may be best as I can study to my own schedule and avoid most of the stressful travel and social aspects. Open University do offer extra support for students with ASD also. 

Does anyone here with ASD have experience participating in courses on the Open University? Did you receive extra support and did it help?

Thanks,

Tom

Parents
  • I completed an OU online MA, with a further post-grad cert back around 1999. Subject Matter: Open & Distance Education  Previously, I had an HND; but it is often possible to bypass a BA or Bsc course,

Why did I study in this manner? I was living abroad during the entire time I did the course. I have never visited any OU facility, and even watched myself being granted the degree diploma online.The support systems were pretty good, since it was then considered a cutting edge new course using loads of different online delivery systems. No idea how they currently deal with students on the spectrum, but I imagine they have quite a lot of experience in providing support. (It's undoubtedly one of the big reasons for going along the dist ed route, and the OU prides itself on being inclusive)

An MA certainly made it easier to get a work permit abroad, but I had to pay the full tuition fee as an overseas UK student. Apart from the work permit, I really should say that I have had very little benefit from the course. At one point, I got a job on the strength of having a qualification in dist ed provision, but I sadly was never actually able to implement any distance ed within the organization; basically because the academic director was constantly at odds with the business owner. Also, distance ed is a bit too radical for educational establishments in some countries. And I have long lost any interest in distance ed, even though it is now beginning to become quite popular in the country where I live. In fact, I can't even bring myself to try online teaching. I know people who do it, but I really do think I have had enough of the whole education world. I certainly enjoyed a lot of my tertiary education, but can't really say it has been of much benefit to my career and life.

Also, I have no particular desire to go to the PhD level, as it would mean having to live in the UK again. And with no actual practical benefits from the MA, I don't see much point in doing that. I have considered just doing an OU BA or BSC for the hell of it, but I have yet to find a suitable online course I could study here. I have debated doing a psychology course, but again I think I am still correct in saying it would be prohibitively expensive abroad. And I do actually crave a F2F education experience again. so i have just been contenting myself with some of  the free OU mini-courses.

I should also point out that I was only recently diagnosed, so I can't really say very much about the experience of being ASD on an OU course. That said, I undoubtedly did get quite a lot of support, and I was frequently somewhat challenged; as has been the case with most of my education. But I imagine you would fare well on an OU course, and a computing course would usually be very suitable. I would say there are many current OU staff and students who would naturally understand your interest in such a course.

• I completed an OU online MA, with a further post-grad cert back around 1999. Subject Matter: Open & Distance Education  Previously, I had an HND; but it is often possible to bypass a BA or Bsc course,

Why did I study in this manner? I was living abroad during the entire time I did the course. I have never visited any OU facility, and even watched myself being granted the degree diploma online.The support systems were pretty good, since it was then considered a cutting edge new course using loads of different online delivery systems. No idea how they currently deal with students on the spectrum, but I imagine they have quite a lot of experience in providing support. (It's undoubtedly one of the big reasons for going along the dist ed route, and the OU prides itself on being inclusive)

An MA certainly made it easier to get a work permit abroad, but I had to pay the full tuition fee as an overseas UK student. Apart from the work permit, I really should say that I have had very little benefit from the course. At one point, I got a job on the strength of having a qualification in dist ed provision, but I sadly was never actually able to implement any distance ed within the organization; basically because the academic director was constantly at odds with the business owner. Also, distance ed is a bit too radical for educational establishments in some countries. And I have long lost any interest in distance ed, even though it is now beginning to become quite popular in the country where I live. In fact, I can't even bring myself to try online teaching. I know people who do it, but I really do think I have had enough of the whole education world. I certainly enjoyed a lot of my tertiary education, but can't really say it has been of much benefit to my career and life.

Also, I have no particular desire to go to the PhD level, as it would mean having to live in the UK again. And with no actual practical benefits from the MA, I don't see much point in doing that. I have considered just doing an OU BA or BSC for the hell of it, but I have yet to find a suitable online course I could study here. I have debated doing a psychology course, but again I think I am still correct in saying it would be prohibitively expensive abroad. And I do actually crave a F2F education experience again. so i have just been contenting myself with some of  the free OU mini-courses.

I should also point out that I was only recently diagnosed, so I can't really say very much about the experience of being ASD on an OU course. That said, I undoubtedly did get quite a lot of support, and I was frequently somewhat challenged; as has been the case with most of my education. But I imagine you would fare well on an OU course, and a computing course would usually be very suitable. I would say there are many current OU staff and students who would naturally understand your interest in such a course.

Children
No Data