Making friends and relationships with Aspergers

Hi All 

Im new to this forum I was diagnosed with mild Aspergers at about 15 years old I'm now nearly 30. I have struggled throughout my life from primary school to the present day. I have no friends or girlfriend

live at home with my parents and work 3 days a week as a gardener. I feel so isolated the only social time I have is with my parents and the one person I work with and that is all. I need to make a change as its driving me mad.

Parents
  • Hi!

I'd recommend joining some social groups. You could look online for Meetup groups, which are usually hobby based. You should also be able to link up with social groups for people with high functioning autism via this website.

In my experience we feel more fulfilled when we are part of groups. That said, it's really important not to expect too much from people or from the group. If you just go along, enjoy people's company and accept that some people will inevitably shun you but don't get phased by it, I think you'll find it worthwhile.

I've stopped analysing whether or not people are real friends, and I've decided to just accept how things are, but groups certainly do help all of us, even if we're not social beings.

• Hi!

I'd recommend joining some social groups. You could look online for Meetup groups, which are usually hobby based. You should also be able to link up with social groups for people with high functioning autism via this website.

In my experience we feel more fulfilled when we are part of groups. That said, it's really important not to expect too much from people or from the group. If you just go along, enjoy people's company and accept that some people will inevitably shun you but don't get phased by it, I think you'll find it worthwhile.

I've stopped analysing whether or not people are real friends, and I've decided to just accept how things are, but groups certainly do help all of us, even if we're not social beings.

Children
No Data