A career in electronics or coding (computer programming) for persons with ASD.

Hi. A friend of mine who is 19 with ASD (I'm sure of it) wants a career in electronics. At high school he completed a GCSE in Design and Technology - Electronic Products. He got (I am told)  a grade "A" in practicals and a "C" in electronics theory (I think an overall grade of "B" - or grade 6). But he only got a grade 2 in math and 3 in English (Need grade 4 for a standard pass in GCSEs). He took his math and English GCESs  again recently, but won't know until August his results. At school he also did the European Computer Driving License (ECDL), where he got a distinction.

The problem he has got is that his math and English GCSE results are poor and that's why they had him doing gardening in his first year, In his second year he did business and some IT studies. For this coming September, the local college don't want him to continue with IT/ computing, they want him to do retail. His parents have decided he is not going back to college to do retail.

Anyway, at some point he has done some coding in class and pupils have come to him when they got stuck. So, the way forward seems to be for him to focus first on coding. It might be that through coding he will get to grips with electronics. In other words if he first gets to grips with coding that might lead to an understanding of electronics, and is preferable to getting a grip on electronics leading to an understanding of coding.  Who knows but in the end my friend might end up focusing on coding.

I just wonder if anyone here has experience of trying to get on in a career in electronics or coding where ASD has been an issue. Especially if it's been difficult to sort out a placement at college. Thanks. Rich

Parents
  • Stick to what you're good it would be my advice.

If that's coding, find a course that focusses on that and ditch the electronics - I'm a Business Analyst in IT and I work with developers all the time - the write code all day, every day and if they do anything with 'electronics' it's in their spare time as a hobby.

As an aside, I've just started looking at an Arduino based project and from my couple of days experience the coding aspect came easily while the hardware/electronics side is just frustrating... you'd think they'd be similarly logical... but no.

• Stick to what you're good it would be my advice.

If that's coding, find a course that focusses on that and ditch the electronics - I'm a Business Analyst in IT and I work with developers all the time - the write code all day, every day and if they do anything with 'electronics' it's in their spare time as a hobby.

As an aside, I've just started looking at an Arduino based project and from my couple of days experience the coding aspect came easily while the hardware/electronics side is just frustrating... you'd think they'd be similarly logical... but no.

Children