Examples of Repetitive Behaviours / Insistence on Sameness that led to a positive diagnosis

Hi all,

I'm still digging around trying to understand what sorts of things are counted as meeting threshold for RRBs / IS in an autism diagnosis. Please note that I don't intend to fake any at my upcoming ADOS! What I'm after is some examples that allow me to settle the question in my mind that wonders if my clinical interview missed RRBs / IS that I *do* have, but aren't the stereotypical "obvious" ones.

I don't want a positive diagnosis if I'm not genuinely ASD, but neither do I want a negative diagnosis if I *am*.

Apart from the minor success I've had in discovering the RBQ2a, I'm drawing a blank in my internet based research.

Parents
  • Is your style of thinking obsessional, ie do you like to think about the same thing or person over and over and over etc?

Do you do the same thing repetitively such as play the same track on a CD on repeat way to many times?

Do you need to do things in the same way repeatedly? Would you struggle to change the way that you do certain tasks?

Hope this helps? I'll go have a look on the internet to see if I can find any useful RRB checklists....

• Thank you. Yes to all of these questions. Starting to be annoyed at the way this was dismissed in my assessment now - the fact that I could force myself to cope seemed to count as "no trouble adapting".

• If your answer to all of the above was yes, then you do, in my opinion show RRBs. Whoever is doing the assessment should take into the account that RRBs will be subtler in some people than others, but that's not to say that they're not there. We all adapt coping mechanisms, because we have to, that doesn't mean that we're not autistic!

• If your answer to all of the above was yes, then you do, in my opinion show RRBs. Whoever is doing the assessment should take into the account that RRBs will be subtler in some people than others, but that's not to say that they're not there. We all adapt coping mechanisms, because we have to, that doesn't mean that we're not autistic!

Children