On being seen as too able

I am waiting to hear a response from an ASD clinic on being put on a waiting list for an assessement.

My worry is that during the interview (and when claiming benifits), I will be perceived as 'too able' and misdiagnosed or rejected, due to my intellectual ability, and that my speech will sometimes appear normal when interested in a topic. I have learning difficulties when it comes to comprehension (making sense of information), but in terms of fluid intelligence (pattern recognition), I am able to use inductive reasoning to assess situations or problems and find ways to cope - I am the type of person your parents would ask on how a piece of technology works for instance, because I like to tinker.

I am debating how I should appear in the interview, even though it could be months ahead. I have heard people use the term 'masking' for when adapting their behaviour to model that of a neurotypic person. I am a very ethical and rational person, so it is playing on my mind.

Parents
  • Seriously don’t worry about it... I went in to my assessment not knowing what to expect. I was completely honest. I am an exceptional masker and I have done it that long I really struggle to keep my mask off. It’s like I’m stuck between the 2 worlds. 

Since being diagnosed I have been in many groups of people on the spectrum and people always think I am NT staff or a family member of someone on the spectrum. I still got my diagnosis.

• Me too - I have a twin to copy so I've been masking for as long as I've been alive.   I'm really good at it - but as I've got older, I can't keep the performance up for as long.   It's exhausting.

• I am finding this also... I am much more tired (40 now) Also being pregnant has somehow weirdly affected my ability to mask. 

• Well that was it for me with a brain injury. Knocked off my bike and ASD much worse, then a further near fatal fall a year later. Now sever brain injury problems - just from last year. Shame humiliation worried about ASD and suicide especially now that dementia seems to be happening.

Iwas a doctor doing well until my head injury, now career ended, £2m financial loss, all seems terrible.

I was also computer geek, but caught in a web trap and new cybercrime unit made out I didn't know it was a scam site- terrible - all over press and TV - all lies. The police and CPS can be cruel and twist things round to avoid the truth. They have no understanding of ASD

• Yes - I think life dents us and, ;ole an old car, things start to fail.  My mask was superb when I was younger but all the stress causes cracks.   I also find the mask is rigid - so it loses the ability to adapt and keep up with what's required in social situations.

• I’m also beginning to think that as I get older, I have been thru more distress and this is making it harder... like I’m damaging myself keep putting myself out there for more trauma.

i have also had 2 bullying managers. One I took to grievance, won and settled out of court with the company 

• I’m also beginning to think that as I get older, I have been thru more distress and this is making it harder... like I’m damaging myself keep putting myself out there for more trauma.

i have also had 2 bullying managers. One I took to grievance, won and settled out of court with the company 

Children
  • Yes - I think life dents us and, ;ole an old car, things start to fail.  My mask was superb when I was younger but all the stress causes cracks.   I also find the mask is rigid - so it loses the ability to adapt and keep up with what's required in social situations.