Help me remember my childhood

I am facing part 2 of my assessment in a few weeks and I struggle with childhood memories (won't be taking a parent). I've been reading other people's experiences from when they thought back to their childhood and discovered probably autistic behaviours that they hadn't previously considered "different" or autistic in particular. I would love it if some people could write about their childhood memories where they, looking back now, struggled or made mistakes because of their autism. Not for me to copy of course, I just find it helps me kickstart some of my own memories if that makes sense? It's hard for me to think of examples so reading other people's examples helps me think about whether I've been in a similar situation.

Parents
  • Hi NAS62413, how about this.......it may help you to do what I've done here in thinking through the various headings?

Hope this helps:

Sensory stuff

- The classic one about insisting that clothing labels were cut out of clothes

- Couldn't bare touching sandpaper & chalk (still can't)

- Didn't like getting wet (still don't really)

Literal thinking

- When my mum promised to do something "in a minute" I would watch the clock and tell her a minute had passed & she still hadn't done it

- The song "I've got you under my skin" freaked me out a bit

Special interests

- I would get absorbed in science books and doing experiments to the exclusion of everything else

Social interaction

- No friends at school

- Often got bored at playschool & complained to teachers but didn't want to "see what the others are doing"

- Bullied at primary and secondary school for being weird

- No interest in small talk

- Much preferred my own company to anything else (still do)

• Thank you so much.This is so helpful. I don't know why I seem to be completely unable to just remember things, I don't think my memories are gone, I just can't dip into my memories and pull some out very easily. It feels physically exhausting trying to remember. So this really helps, thank you.

Reply Children
No Data