favourite Songs or groups

Mine is  number 1,Keane, somewhere only we know, and 2, Supertramp, take the long way home. Whats yours?

• A song for all of you.

'Though some things in life are hard to bear...'

Don't Let It Bring You Down

• I know all the rich people with their yachts have moved in, small world though hey.

• I just love Fall Out Boy. I find Patrick Stump's voice really calming and I like to put in headphones and completely immerse myself in the sound. It's my form of mindfulness.

• I was born in Clevedon, my father's from Portishead and I have a swarm of rellies in the area so I'm down there a fair bit still. It was a total dump when I was a kid, you wouldn't recognise the place now!

• Somewere only we know is one of my favourite songs too!! I love it a lot. These aren't groups, but I wanted to contribute anyway. My favourite singers are Marina (and the Diamonds, she recently removed this part from her name) and Owl City/Adam Young.

I find that I can relate a lot to a large portion of Marina's songs. The state of dreaming is probably my favourite song from her, but recently I've been listening to The Outsider a lot in particular and really resonating with that. As for Owl City, I feel like his general sound is really satisfying and relaxing for me to listen to and it really brings up my mood, I also really really love his lyrics. Fireflies (despite its rise to meme status) is actually my favourite song ever, followed closely by the state of dreaming and somewhere only we know (and I know very very little about Keane outside of that song). Fireflies was so comforting to me growing up!!

Other than that, I honestly just listen to whatever happens to be stuck in my head, I'm very open when it comes to music. Marina and Owl City are the only two singers I actively follow and listen to consistently at the moment, and I'm very much 'stuck' on them in that they're often the only two things I'll want to listen to. Though that excludes songs from the anime and video games/mobile games that I like, and vocaloid songs. I feel like my music taste is a very odd mix honestly. I also find that when I'm not stuck on Marina and Owl City, I'll really listen to anything as long as I can relate to it in some way.

• or Kryten from Red Dwarf

• another vote for Portishead, gotta be in the right mood but powerful moody stuff! Saw them live somewhere around 97/98ish.

• not seen it? post me a link

• What about the cartoon skunk?

• Love it... So funny cos c.... not a very nice word.. No matter how bad Im feeling Kev can always make me chuckle.

• We are all like worzel gummidge, put on a different head depending on the mood with our music. I'm like that I even like AbbA!

• Pat Metheny, A friend of mine is obsessed with him, I'd never heard of him until I met her.

• Queen, Eric Clapton,  David Bowie.  Some compilation albums ie Guardians of the galaxy.

Currently listenlis to Queen 

• Ironic that I now have the "Can't say .... in Canada" one. leading to the cartoon skunk PMSL

• This morning I have Beach Boys "Good Vibrations" in my head leading to Monkees "Believer" and "Daydream Believer" GRRR

• I like songs with lyrics with a story or meaning.  And there are many singer-songwriters who can chuck out a good set of words and a tune, among them Harvey Andrews. Harvey Andrews is from Birmingham but now lives in a village not far from Stafford.  He has now all but given up performances but there is a catalogue of his work to listen to.

This song was written in the 1960's, the words say it all, a tale of love in the first world war and I think it is what is not said that makes the song all the more poignant.

Margarita

They're playing our song, Margarita; dance it this last time with me
    It won't be long, Margarita; soon I'll be overseas
    Let me know that you'll care when I've gone over there

Kiss me again, Margarita, give me a memory of you
    They say in France, Margarita, one more push, we'll be through
    Yes I'll write, but where from? All they'll say is the Somme
    So kiss me again, Margarita, give me a memory of you

It's a new world, Margarita, we'll build, when it's through
       In that new world, Margarita, we'll be wed, me and you

My old great-aunt Margarita, she'd been blind thirty years
    Would tell me of young Margarita, of her man and her tears
    She would say, He was tall, there's his picture on the wall
    My old great-aunt Margarita, she'd been blind thirty years

She would ask, Is he smiling? I would stare at the frame
    But the sun was there shining through her window again
    Where that sun always shone he had faded and gone
    But she would ask, Is he smiling? I would say, He's the same

It's a new world, Margarita, we'll build, when it's through
       In that new world, Margarita, we'll be wed, me and you

It won't be long, Margarita; soon I'll be overseas
    Let me know that you'll care when I've gone over there

Harvey Andrews.

• Another rock fan here albeit a quite broadminded one. The first music that resonated with me when I was about 8 was glam rock...Slade, Sweet, Mud, Mott, Suzi Quattro  etc... all broke me out of my dull, insular, fearful, aspie only-child world and made me feel ALIVE!... and then to top it off Queen came on Top of the Pops with Seven Seas of Rhye in March 1974 and from there on in I knew I wanted to play in a rock band! Of course my over protective (and also probably aspie) parents werent gonna let me have an electric guitar so I settled for a violin and became rather good at it. I had to wait until I was 14 to finally get an electric, with the final push coming from hearing Eddie on the first Van Halen album in 1979 which was a life changing moment.

These days I listen to all sorts of stuff but most of it is guitar based... punk, new wave, 70s funk, some prog (the more concise stuff), lots of classic/hard rock, old metal (no extreme stuff), grunge, some indie, odds and sods from the brit pop era (eg Supergrass, Blur and Mansun). I even dabble with Jazz from time to time, Pat Metheny and John Scofield are faves. Sadly not a great deal of new bands from the last 15 years have moved me although I do LOVE Muse but then again they've been going 20 years now...Most new stuff suffers from crappy guitar tones, too much auto-tune, too much compression, quantized beats...whinge whinge, whinge I''m sounding like an old fart now LOL ...but for me there is enough good stuff from the 60s through till the mid 90s to keep me going.