Seeking help for general social behavioural problems

Hello, I do apologise if this is the wrong place to ask a question like this, but I'm rather in a crux at the moment. I'm in my early twenties, haven't been diagnosed with any behavioural or neurological conditions, and have never until a few days ago seriously thought of seeking any professional help regarding a number of social impediments that have been quite a hindrance throughout my life. I'm increasingly in a position where it's required of me to actively exert myself with some degree of normalcy in essential and relatively commonplace situtations, and during one such occasion, it struck me quite forcefully that if I don't actively seek help i'm not going to have a very pleasant adulthood. I've thence spent the past few days obsessively self analysing my behaviour in any anecdotal sitution my mind can recall, rather to the detriment of my general mental wellbeing. I've noticed that my behaviour does in many respects accord with notable symptoms of HFA, though to be honest I find the process of self administration so wracked by ambiguities that it's becoming more of a hindrance than a help, and I'm finding it genuinely impossible to decide whether or not I'm just suffering from social anxiety. It's thence my instinct to try and see a professional about these general concerns without any prescriptive preconceptions wherein, rather than going in and saying that I think I have A or B, and asking to be assessed for that, I might be able to deduce something by actually speaking to a professional in a relatively open context! I was wondering, therefore, if there might be any preferential means for achieving this, since I'm rather scared of going into a GP, saying something blathery and general for a while, and leaving without having achieved anything whatsoever. Sorry again if this isn't the right place to ask for advice like this, but if anyone had any I would be very grateful!

Parents
  • It sounds like you have a lot of self-awareness which is great as you area already part of the way there.

I was diagnosed with autism last year at age 45 but have suffered from social anxiety all of my life. I guess I wanted to say that regardless of whether or not you are diagnosed with autism, social anxiety can be very severe and in my case it has had a big impact on my life. You mention that you might 'just' be suffering from social anxiety - in my case I did some cognitive behavioural therapy which helped over a period of time. In addition to seeking a diagnosis for autism, you could always try some online CBT or reading a good book about dealing with social anxiety. It might help too. Good luck! 

• It sounds like you have a lot of self-awareness which is great as you area already part of the way there.

I was diagnosed with autism last year at age 45 but have suffered from social anxiety all of my life. I guess I wanted to say that regardless of whether or not you are diagnosed with autism, social anxiety can be very severe and in my case it has had a big impact on my life. You mention that you might 'just' be suffering from social anxiety - in my case I did some cognitive behavioural therapy which helped over a period of time. In addition to seeking a diagnosis for autism, you could always try some online CBT or reading a good book about dealing with social anxiety. It might help too. Good luck! 

Children