Friends, wanting isolation, loneliness

Bit of a ramble but hope someone understands? Two possibly related issues:

Number one

I'm so grateful for the fact that I've come to understand what exhausts me about social interaction, and I've given myself permission to minimise this. So, I've cut down on face to face meetings, I'm saying no to travel, and I'm finding comfort in my routine.

However, success in this is leaving me feeling isolated and lonely, and probably under-stimulated and bored too.

There doesn't seem to be an easy answer to this tension.

Number two

I have great difficulty in being able to work out whether I have any friends or not. I'm happy with my own company (see above) but I do enjoy the mutual support of a friendship. I offer my support to quite a few people (gently) and I have a couple of people who seem to value it and say that they count me as a good friend. However, I haven't found *anyone* who I would say frequently reaches back to me; if I don't put the effort in, I'm alone. It's like I'm always the one chasing.

I find this with family too; I feel that I'm absolutely exhausted feeling obligated to make my parents happy & support my children but no one seems to care about me. If I challenged anyone on this, I can guarantee that the answer would be "But of *course* we care, you're our number one, you're so special, we love you to bits." but no-one does (or rarely does) anything that helps me feel that.

</vent>

Parents
  • I'm with you on most of Number One.  I can't say I really feel isolated or lonely, though - maybe because I've spent much of my life preferring my own company, and have never really been bothered about friendships.  The understimulation or boredom can be an issue, though.  I usually try to deal with that by immersing myself in my interests - pretty much all of which don't require anyone else's input, anyway.  So... writing, reading, watching movies, playing computer games occasionally (nothing big - just Solitaire or Crazy Golf or something; I'm not interested in stuff that has hundreds of levels, RPGs, etc).  I usually find enough to keep me going.  Writing, especially, is good because it means I can drop out of 'real life' and engage in a story.  I also enjoy making memes with Gimp, or using it to create pictures.  I could use my time much more productively than I do, I know.  I could try learning a language or trying to make head or tail of quantum physics... but my concentration level with those kinds of activities is very low.  I just get bored too easily.  Generally, anything even remotely creative is usually a good way of keeping boredom at bay.

On Number Two.  Well... I know there are people who like me.  One or two of them drop me a text every now and then.  I met up with a friend on Saturday for a coffee.  We keep in touch by text, too - but I hadn't actually seen her for over a year before that.  We spent about an hour together and caught up a bit.  I regard it as a friendship because we go back a long way and have kept in touch.  But it's not what most people, probably, would think of as a friendship.  We don't meet up regularly.  We don't go to each others houses.  We don't do activities together.  At the same time, like you, I do like being around people - at least, for short periods of time.  As long as I know them and can feel comfortable about them, and as long as they can accept me for who I am.  My niece and her family are like that.  We're easy together, but they understand when I say 'I think I should be heading off now' - generally between one and two hours.  At work, I have no choice but to be around people all day.  There are staff I feel comfortable with, and those I don't.  With the service users, on the other hand - even the most challenging - I'm always in my element.  I think maybe it's because we are often like grown-up kids together.  And there's unconditional loyalty.  No back-stabbing.  What you see is what you get!  Also, they're vulnerable, so I identify on that level.  They bring out the best in me.

Having said all that... I, too, have people who've said they count me as a 'friend'.  But they don't really feel like it.  It's more like an acquaintanceship.  And quite often, I won't hear anything for ages.  Same with family, too.  I usually make the first contact about something.  I think, maybe, it's because friendships require a level of maintenance that I'm simply not up to providing.  I can't be doing with regular meet-ups, parties, nights out, networking, etc.  I suppose being a loner by disposition, and enjoying nothing better than to be alone for hours or days, means I've perhaps lost (or mislaid) the skills needed - if I ever had them at all.  I look at my brother, who's my polar opposite.  Hates being alone.  Is always out meeting up with friends.  Still has friends stretching back to his schooldays almost 60 years ago.  If ever he needs advice on something, or a job doing, he has a friend to go to.  A friend built his conservatory.  He gets a lot of business work through friends.  He can do it.  I can't. 

Wouldn't it be great if a large group of us could crowdfund to buy ourselves an island - just for Aspies!  Then we could have all the friends, and all the isolation, we needed! 

Just me fantasising again!

• Yes I can identify with most of what you say. I have a difficult (high? low?) boredom threshold & I used to love the original Sonic the Hedgehog game on Sega - no faffing about with defining characters, no strategy to plan, just press start and run, jump & kick stuff!

I would actually be up for the odd coffee & meet-up (me & them, me & wife & them, or me & wife & their partner). But I *very* rarely get someone asking me. I offer and offer and then give up - I take it that people aren't interested. And yet, when people comment on me as a person, all I ever hear is that I'm one of the nicest people they know!

Yeah, Isle of Aspie sounds fun :-)

• Isle of Aspie ... Amberac. I'd be up for a tenth :) .... www.zoopla.co.uk/.../48766923

• In the Strontium Dog story from 2000AD all the mutants lived in the Ghetto of Milton Keynes.

• I think survivalism can be fun for a bit.  A challenge to see how resilient you really are.  I sometimes watch that 'Hunted' program to see if the conrestants have a clue about living lean and minimising their footprint - I'm always disappointed.

I think you have to be realistic about your needs and interactions or you become a crazy hermit that dies alone in a cave.

I've created a long list of 'must-haves' for the next place and opportunities for social interaction are high on the list - as long as they are on my terms.

I also want a local hub for shopping close by and I need access to healthcare.

The property itself needs to be designed for minimal mantenance and minimal running costs - no point wasting money for no reason by burning it. Ideally, I'd like to be off-grid. Fuel is only going to get more expensive as time passes.

I need space to do my hobbies - 1/2 acre minimum - enough to justify a ride-on mower. Slight smile

• Again... horses for courses.

I suppose it's what you get used to.  That woman's life in Canada would suit me.  Remote - but close enough  to civilisation and resources.  She doesn't have internet, which doesn't bother her as she doesn't really need it.  She has access to all she wants.

It all comes down to what you want out of life, I suppose.  Modern life, of course, cossets us.  Most of us have probably had our survivalist instincts conditioned out of us.

Civilisation.  Hm.  What's that old Gandhi quote. 

"What do you think of western civilisation?"

"I think it would be a good idea."

I know what you mean, though.  Yes, I'd want to be close enough to essential supplies.  As long as I didn't need to have too many people around.

• It's probably not much fun during a winter storm when the waves are crashing over your roof.

I've looked seriously into downsizing and disappearing into the countryside.  I'm hoping to do it in around 2 years.  I'm lucky to live in a really expensive area so moving to the country will free up a large cash-cushion.

I'm an engineer so all the tech needed can be installed for miminal outlay - solar, water harvesting, hydroponics etc. I can build any out-buildings needed for plant equipment.

As you get older, priorities change and things like nearby hospitals become more important.

• It has reasonable access to the mainland, though, which is important.  The weather and temperatures wouldn't seriously bother me.  I've lived in such conditions before.  I'd see £300k as just the basic 'price of entry'.  It would need a good deal more than that, of course.

I think I could make a go of it, if I could find a way to make an income to cover the essentials.

It's horses for courses with all these things.

• How would they know you were there 365? Do you have to sign in?

Reply Children
No Data