Street lights and other lighting

Does anyine else have a strange relationship with street lights as I do?

Im all for energy saving to help with climate change but im really struggling with these new bright white (LED?) lights.

A lot of the street lights round here are being retro-fitted with the new white light. I much prefer the warm tones of the old style orange or peach ones. Is it just that i like things just-so snd unchanged? The old orange ones rrmind me of being a child. To me, the white light is like the visual equivalent of the sound of a bad chord on an untuned piano. Does that make sense to anyone? It makes me feel uncomfortabke and a bit uneasy.

Since New year, there have been 4 neighbours who have had  white security lights installed outside their homes.The house at the back has lights which shine into our back bedroom. Its not majorly bright but its the colour of the light i dont like. The lights they had before shone in a bit but were a warmer light and it didnt feel invasive.

When we lived in a second floor flat, some new car park lighrs were installed which shone directly into our living room. There was only me who seemed bothered by it (not partner or other neighbours) and i got the council to re-angle the light.

These white lights make me feel uncomfortable. In places like supermarket car parks where they are really bright, the birds are singing at 10pm at night because the lighrs mimic daylight. It fills me with despair. This is messing with our body clock as well as nature.

My partner said he has never heard anyone go on about lighting as much as me. Is it just me?!

• I didn't know you could get glasses with different levels of tint!

• I think fluorescent and LED are different. But either way, it's not nice when they are so bright. 

It's about saving money not environmental reasons. How can it be good for the environment when it looks like daylight at night time?

• I have issues with bright lights in general (I don't care what colour it is though as long as it doesn't flicker/pulse/buzz/blink).

I had a selection of black tinted prescription glasses made up for me at (from memory) 80%, 70%, 50%, 20% light transmission so I can choose the appropriate darkness for the conditions. I typically drive at night with the 70% (to help with oncoming headlights), and I often wear the 80% to walk around - it takes the edge off.

• They changed the ones round here not long ago and they are horrendous. Maybe someone already posted here about white lights and frequencies etc. I'm pretty sure fluorescent lights have been used as a form of torture? It is horrendous. I read that they can be turned down though, so that could be something to pursue with council. Round here they were considering doing it on environmental grounds. 

• Halogen bulbs encased in GLS are also a favoruite along with incandescent. I buy in bulk online. I have only a few LEDs in the house - one for safety in the hall and the other broken up by a Salt Lamp (which I should say, makes for excellent evening lighting). 

The PROBLEM with LEDs is they are a single wave of light, it's a bit like a pin-***. While you can get 'warmer' bulbs, they are still grating. So a pearlised thick glass encasing or a rock of salt will diffuse/scatter the light so it's tolerable. While I know they attenuate the light, I do not know for certain if blue light still escapes from a salt lamp. 

I am on a personal mission to find a way to raise awareness and REPEAL these laws (phasing out more natural lighting) which are harmful to Autistic individuals. 

https://www.lampco.co.uk/collections/incandescent-gls

https://www.bltdirect.com/gls-standard-light-bulbs

https://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/incandescent/

There are more locations, just do a search! (also I know this thread is 3 years old, but it's still relevant!)

• Thank you I shall have a look. 

• Get philips hue or ikea ones you can control them form your phone and make them dim or bright

• Alsowhat can we do about lighting in our home?

I've put my partner in charge of buying bulbs as it's too complicated for me. However it seems you can only buy LED ones now. I don't like putting the back bedroom big light or front room big lights on cos it's too bright. I've got used to LEDs in lamps though....I think the type of lampshade helps. Maybe get some light shades for the big lights to help diffuse it. 

• I've found this website if anyone is interested

https://lightaware.org/

My neighbour re-angled his light some months ago after I told him it was shining into the house. It's still too bright but I suppose it's a compromise. 

There's a general glow in the sky at the back of the house and all across towards my nearest city.  I crave darkness.

• Stick a polite note through the door

• I can't reply individually as there are no reply buttons.

I've looked at the petitions and they don't have many signatures. I don't know what good online petitions do anyway.

Secondly,  we have blackouts but the light comes through round the edges. I've realised it comes through the kitchen window more than I thought too.

I keep checking the light on the wall near the back door. It's been on most of the time since it went dark. My partner says he doesn't want to hear any more about it and I'll just have to get used to it. I'm getting stuck on this. I've just spent the best part of 40 minutes reading about regulations on Google and coukd probably continue but it's making me more anxious. I might have to go and speak to the neighbours as they might not be aware. But I'm no good with this stuff and get my words jumbled up.

Yes it's blinding but it also sets off physical anxiety symptoms.

• i agree,  they're awful  there are warmer versions available but they are quite rare. ASDA had some but they went so quick !

• its called light pollution and it effects more people than you realise. I am sensitive to light and brights light at night can blind me for a few seconds. I hate them. I understand just how you feel. 

• A non-confrontational solution to the sleep disturbance is a black out blind/curtain lining in your own house. 

I really don't like cold white LED lights either and don't know why people put them in their houses. They are so clinical to me.

• I have so much to say about this. And yes. Something can be done. They are damaging to the environment. They are not human-friendly. they are disrupting biology, ecology and the human circadian rhythm. Petitions exist and Research exists to help stop legalities around these. They are causing humans to go blind. They make me incredibly angry. Keep an LED in your garage, in your hall, in various places for safety where they can go off automatically. But they are INCREDIBLY damaging. 

• So I'm adding to this thread again.

Another neighbour has had a security light put up.  The cold white colour ones. The house is at 90degrees to ours, it doesn't directly shine in to the house but it bounces off the side of the windows and back door. If I go out its incredibly bright. I woke up last night and was confused because I thought it was coming light outside and nearly time to get up.

It's intrusive. I'm sure most people think they're being neighbourly by not having parties or playing loud music late,  but they don't think of other ways they can disturb.

When I see the light, it makes me feel really angry or anxious or want to cry. Again, it's lack of control and just having to "put up" with stuff. I'm sick of it. I was finally diagnosed a few months ago and feel ive got more permission from mysrlf to sort things out which are difficult for me, but I don't want to go round and say anything cos its petty and comes across as moaning.

• Try night-time driving specs or clip-ons. But I would add that I'm not that wild about the sickly yellow tint they give everything.

• I find the Warm White of some LED lights too overpoweringly nostalgic/reminiscent for my tastes.

I make quite a lot of stuff, but I should say that it tends to be a bit crudely-made for most tastes. I'm a dyspraxic (but articled) wood butcher. I also repurpose stuff. My seemingly endless supply of defunct mains cafetieres have been converted into kettle-filled drip coffee stands, for instance.

Another useful development is that some rural areas of the UK have started switching off very remote streetlights off at night. Sure it helps their budget, but they have also noted how it helps them to achieve 'dark sky reserve' status; which the star-gazers and batpeople among us will be doubtless happy about.

Bats are fascinating. It often happens here that I have to open all the windows and switch off all the houselights to get them to leave when they blunder into my sitting room by accident. But now you mention it, perhaps the streetlights are contributing to their disorientation; as they tend to come in through the dark attic, but still end up flying around in the lit space below. Our attic would perhaps make a perfect roost, but I'm afraid 'er indoors would not want the 'fallout'. And indeed, it could be a bit hazardous to humans (airborne infections) in a hot humid climate. But keeping them out ain't that easy. Limestone caves suit them better.

• Senior moment, that's brilliant you made your own solar powered torch! Have you made anything else yourself?

Yes I agree that the lights can be more directed. They are on our side street. I know main roads tend to be different as they need more lighting. 

It's not so much the glare, it's more how they make me feel! What is a reminsince tint?