Struggle to sleep

I average about 3 hours sleep a night. The main blockage appears to be my inability to switch off.  Tried: listening to music, watching telly, doing nothing for a couple of hours before bed, tried doing loads of exercise, I have been prescribed amitriptrline by the GP 2 years ago, nothing it has helped me at all.

Does anybody else struggle this way and does anybody have any ideas to help.

Parents
  • 6:30am and still awake.

I woke up at 5:30am from a series of  interconnected nightmares about walking home through back streets in the snow. While taking photographs.  The past and present were all mixed up with different places I used to live at.

BTW there is no snow here.

• I have been having very vivid dreams and nightmares recently. I am fascinated by the way in which reality and fantasy get mixed up. Nightmares can be so terrifying that it takes me a long while to calm down once awake. I also get woken up by silly things (leaving the heating on my mistake) and by the dog who sometimes needs to be let out, but sometimes just needs a cuddle. She is a very anxious creature, like me. I hope that over time, we can help each other to relax.

My classic recurring nightmare is of being on a scaffolding like structure or high ladder which is collapsing, whilst having to negotiate some kind of impossible barrier. I am terrified of heights in real life and it does not need sophisticated interpretation to work out the meaning! Do you have a recurring dream or theme for nightmares? 

• I have been having very vivid dreams and nightmares recently. I am fascinated by the way in which reality and fantasy get mixed up. Nightmares can be so terrifying that it takes me a long while to calm down once awake. I also get woken up by silly things (leaving the heating on my mistake) and by the dog who sometimes needs to be let out, but sometimes just needs a cuddle. She is a very anxious creature, like me. I hope that over time, we can help each other to relax.

My classic recurring nightmare is of being on a scaffolding like structure or high ladder which is collapsing, whilst having to negotiate some kind of impossible barrier. I am terrified of heights in real life and it does not need sophisticated interpretation to work out the meaning! Do you have a recurring dream or theme for nightmares? 

Children
  • It sounds like your dream is more about reaching goals. It’s as if it’s saying that even if you reach the top (your goals) there will always be obstacles which will prevent you from staying there. It also echos a common belief that it’s tough and lonely at the top. Or it could be linked to your fear of heights if you have been facing your fear or you had to climb a high ladder or something. 

• Today's nightmare was new.

I was trying to get home, walking through these streets .

In these conditions.

And children were getting in the way of my photographs.