Autism and therapy question

I'm 31, male and was diagnosed with autism last year. Though I find Asperger's fits me better, but anyway... I've thought for a while that seeing a psychiatrist would help me with my depression, feelings of self worth and suicide. I even saw a haematologist last week about a blood clotting disorder I have who strongly advised I see a psychiatrist. However, I have a classmate on my college course who has autism and who's off ill due to her depression and anxiety etc. When I suggested to them about seeing a councillor or therapist, she said that they wouldn't work because she has autism. Is this the case for autistic people? Does counselling/therapy not work for people on the spectrum...? It would make sense considering our brains are hardwired differently, therefore making it unlikely that changing our mindset would be effective, or is this just someone who's been misguided...? I imagine seeing a psychiatrist would help in the sense of having someone to talk to and unload my problems onto, but that's probably as far as it'll go.

Thanks

Parents
  • Thanks for all the responses, guys. Some interesting and varied stories. Pirate Santa: your ADHD angle has gotten me curious. I didn't even think or consider that that could be related to the negative thinking I often get. Or the fact that it could be related to hyperfocus, which I also have with things that greatly interest me. I'll have to check out that link you've posted. I've lost count how many times people have gotten frustrated with me about my fixed and stubborn ways involving my mindset. They always suggest for me to change it, but they lack the understanding behind autism/Asperger's etc.

Considering the lack of autism support in my area, I highly doubt there's anything to do with CBT. :-\ When I spoke to my GP about seeing a psychiatrist, the only place there seemed to be was a place in a near town where you could self-refer. I suspect they're more like councillors in mental health though.

• Scored 61% on the ADHD test via that linked website.

Reply Children
  • My dad was like that. He couldn'tnhear or read about an illness without thinking he had it too. He was freaked out about bacteria too.

I spent my childhood thinking you could contract anything from anywhere. Then I found out you don't have to worry about using the same cup twice etc.

• I do tend towards hypochondria so my psychologist advised me not to spend too much time trying to diagnose myself with different conditions.

I am really glad I did recognise I had an ASD though, as none of my GPs ever did, even when I mentioned it as a possibiiity. 

• Yes.  I'm fairly sure I could've been happier and better adjusted if I'd been in more suitable and supportive environment for my nature as I grew up etc.  A lot of the anxiety stems from all the insecurity, self-esteem issues and impostor syndrome difficulties that came from trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Clubs and societies are a reasonably safe place to get more social interaction since the shared interest means you have something to talk about.

• I'm not really one for the 'be happy with yourself' thing. Might be because I am not or some other reason.

But the psychologist meant it as: there are many people with autistic traits that are happy living in solitude or working solitary jobs and don't care about others.

My ex boyfriend was like your husband. Very much to himself and not into social things. He never said anything in groups. People would talk to him. He had no problem with that though, and felt quite at ease.

If you feel like you want more social interaction, why don't you join a cycling club or wherever your interests lie.

• I can imagine your psychologist's reaction because not all tests on the internet are decent, so to say. And these days people think all kinds of things are wrong with them because of all the online tests.

• Hi Henpecked,

Good luck for tomorrow - here is a link to the ADHD test for women and girls: https://www.additudemag.com/adhd-symptoms-test-girls/?src=test

My psychologist seemed unimpressed when I told her I had done this test and got a high score! 

• You're right Blank, it really depends whether you are happy within yourself.

My husband has some autistic traits. He zones out of conversations and stops looking at people leaving me to do the talking (that's if we do go out, and it will only be with family). He is extremely shy, works in IT. He hates social occasions such as going to the pub after work etc and will avoid almost all work dos. We met online - neither of us would have met any other way. However he says he is happy with his lot whereas I 'think' I would like a bit more of a social life - not pubs and clubs but perhaps a cycling buddy / group. I think women naturally feel they should have friends, perhaps.

He doesn't though have any sensory problems like I do - he can sit and read whilst listening to music through headphones! I really can't understand that. And I snip all the tags out of his clothes because I presume they will annoy him as much as me but he says there is no need as they don't bother him Joy. Neither does he constantly ruminate and try and interpret what people mean by texts / emails etc like I do. 

• Don't be surprised if your husband has some autistic traits too. My husband discovered he has some while he was talking to the psychologist who needed his input for my assessment Smile

She said most people have some traits but not everyone is bothered by them.

• Hi Sunflower, I'm reading through older posts and am interested in the women and girls'  test you did. Could you send me a link please?  As you know I have my initial session tomorrow. I've only completed the standard tests from the source in Cambridge, interestingly my husband and I scored the same on that one. 

• That explanation is really helpful and makes a lot of sense. Thanks so much for this. It will be interesting to see what the report says when I get it. I don't know how much detail it will go into about the specific nature of my difficulties. The biggest change is going to be me taking things a bit easier without feeling guilty about it. 

• Whether or not the traits of the autism spectrum are inclusive of the ones for AD(H)D, particularly "pure-inattentive" ADD, has been quite a controversial issue in psychology. In the past, and to some psychologists now, the position was that AD(H)D executive function differences were a proper sub-set of those for autism, such that dual diagnosis wasn't appropriate because ASD implicitly includes ADD traits. However, just like absolutely any other ASD trait, there are people for whom they are not a problem, and others for whom they are their most severe problem.

So, my take on it is that a dual diagnosis might still be useful even if ADD is a sub-set of ASD, as a means to identify the sub-set of autistic people for whom those particular differences are a significant factor in their difficulties, and to be able to tailor interventions accordingly. That's exactly what the diagnostic manuals do with factors such as language delay and intellectual impairments which may or may not occur in any particular case of ASD, so I see no reason to treat ADD traits any differently. No-one would claim that autistic people should not get a diagnosis of epilepsy just because seizures are so common for autistic people, for example.

• I mentioned that I had done the questionnaire to my psychologist yesterday. She seems to think I am just ASD. To be honest I could probably diagnose myself with more or less anything if I read into it deeply enough! 

• Same here. I thought all those questions were more yhe standard ASD ones, but apparently there is a difference?

• I did the version for women and girls and got 88%. It seemed to me that many of the questions were about things that could also be explained by being autistic.