Random Twitter Stuff

Twitter is a great place to find #ActuallyAutistic people writing interesting stuff.

Here are six people I follow: 

@Kieranrose7 The Autistic Advocate
@Autismage Cos
@Outfoxgloved Rhi
@MeDecoded MeDecoded
@SheffieldLuke Luke Beardon
@AnnMemmott Ann Memmott

Does anyone else here use Twitter?

If so, who do you follow? 

Parents Reply Children
  • I'm on Twitter under a pseudonym and heavily disguised! My Facebook is invisible to anyone except immediate family. To be honest I'd rather not be on it but it's the only way I see what my children are doing. 

Tweeting is a risky business... a few years ago a well-known writer from the USA was visiting the University I worked at. I sent an innocent tweet saying how excited we were and a few hours later I got a message from his agent threatening legal action (I'd muddled him up with someone with a similar name!). 

I'm very cautious these days about what I tweet! 

• Oh, yes - I can see that positive aspect of it.  On Facebook, I belonged to several Aspie and autism groups.  I found some of them a little bit juvenile, though.  People saying things like 'Asperger's seems really cool.  How do I go about getting diagnosed with it?'  Er... well... try being born with it.  It helps!

I've stopped using Facebook now.  Not only because I was spending too much time on it, and this forum is far more helpful for me.  But also because that 'unfriending' and 'blocking' incident with my work colleague has made me so ill.  It's like I said about the 'safe spaces' section in that article.  Things have moved on too much now.  I no longer feel 'safe' on social media.  And whilst I might be able to cope with being unfriended by someone I've never met, nor am ever likely to meet, I can't cope with it when it's someone I have to work with every day.  I need people to be straight with me, and mixed messages like that just do my head in.

On the other hand, of course, as someone who writes, I know I would benefit from being on Twitter.  Many agents are as keen to acknowledge your 'web presence' as they are to read the work you're sending them.  If they see you have a following, it makes you much more interesting to them.