Have you got a favourite mug?

Have you got a favourite mug? This is one of mine.

• Bought for my mathematician daughter but kept for myself (bit selfish!)
  • I love numbers but get maths anxiety (so full of contradictions!) 
  • My ginger 'fresh' tea is 2 years out of date (frugal streak!) 

Do share your favourite mug - photo or description - I find mugs fascinating 

Parents
  • I did have, until the wind blew it over and smashed it just this morning :0(

It had that picture of a smiling soldier with a mug in his hand, with "how about a nice cup of shut the f*** up. I bring my own mug to work, and my own spoon, which I also keep in a cupboard separate from the rest of the cutlery at home, because it is exactly the right size and I can not find another one like it anywhere 

• Oh no, so sorry to hear this.

When I break or lose a favourite object I mourn it quite deeply.

Is this the picture that was on your mug?

Edited to get past censors...

You are sensible to take great care of your special spoon. 

• currently the spoon with British leyland logo is absent without leave, AWOL. I hope it turns up,,, the cowley canteen was about to be shut down and all new everything, it had just been taken over by the Japanese!

when BMW took it over to produce the new look mini they rather quickly covered all the old brick work with cladding! I don’t suppose for one minute it was because you could still see the camouflage paint put on during the Second World War, back then they produced Jerry cans and so many essential items to keep the troops going. 

It  is now a sterile looking place,, if you look hard you can still find reminders though.

• That sounds amazing - I like the visual image of the orange glow coming from the steel works. This image from Google is what the Middlesbrough industrial area looks like at night 

• I've never been to Middlesbrough.  I have spent time in the area, Newcastle, Sunderland, Durham, Whitby, Darlington.  

But in Sheffield I travelled in daytime and after dark when the steel works were operating and I could see the orange glow coming from the buildings.

• This is exactly the same type of spoon  that is £20 on Gumtree! 

• Sounds amazing! Have you ever seen industrial areas at night? I got lost in Middlesbrough after dark and ended up in an incredible dystopian fairyland. Lights, steam and buildings bigger than cathedrals. 

• A friend told me about when he went on a day trip to Blackpool as a kid in the early 1980s with his grandparents. Whilst out and about his grandfather noticed an abandoned British Rail plate with a British Rail knife and fork. His grandfather picked it up, to the disgust of his grandmother who ranted on about it being dirty, and insisted that he took it back to the train station. There was a big queue of people buying tickets at the station and when he finally reached the ticket office window he handed the plate in then all the other passengers gave him a funny look.

They were the days when they served proper meals with proper tableware on Intercity trains.

Does anybody remember the giant cookies sold in the buffet cars? 

• A friend told me about when he went on a day trip to Blackpool as a kid in the early 1980s with his grandparents. Whilst out and about his grandfather noticed an abandoned British Rail plate with a British Rail knife and fork. His grandfather picked it up, to the disgust of his grandmother who ranted on about it being dirty, and insisted that he took it back to the train station. There was a big queue of people buying tickets at the station and when he finally reached the ticket office window he handed the plate in then all the other passengers gave him a funny look.

They were the days when they served proper meals with proper tableware on Intercity trains.

Does anybody remember the giant cookies sold in the buffet cars? 

Children
No Data