Have you got a favourite mug?

Have you got a favourite mug? This is one of mine.

• Bought for my mathematician daughter but kept for myself (bit selfish!)
  • I love numbers but get maths anxiety (so full of contradictions!) 
  • My ginger 'fresh' tea is 2 years out of date (frugal streak!) 

Do share your favourite mug - photo or description - I find mugs fascinating 

Parents Reply
  • I hated tea for the whole of my childhood. When I refused it my grandmother kept putting more and more sugar in it. I am shuddering remembering the taste now. I only managed to start drinking tea in my mid 20s when I realised I was expected to do this when visiting clients at work. Even now if someone accidentally put sugar in my tea I couldn't drink it. Do you ever try tea to see if your tastes have changed? 

Children
  • Tea is usually served in small glass cups in Iran. Teahouses are everywhere although they seem to be a bit more like pubs, complete with their etiquette and clientele, than British tea and coffee shops.

The traditional British cuppa is declining amongst the younger generation who increasingly prefer fancy varieties of  tea but it's unlikely that tea leaves will ever make a big comeback in Britain.

• It sounds like the tea in my favourite Iranian restaurant The Persian Cottage in Middlesbrough. It is delicate and fragrant, and it is served in a lovely teapot, kept warm over a candle. 

• I only really liked tea when I lived in Iran. It's a nation of tea connoisseurs who think that the British generally do not understand tea or have a particularly good taste in tea. In Iran tea is always made from leaves and blended according to tastes and the water hardness. There are many shops which sell loose tea leaves and will blend them for you. Tea in Iran is rarely as strong as the British cuppa enjoyed by builders because the normal British blends are heavily based on Assam tea.

• mmmm christmas cake and cheese is awesome

• Someone once made me camp coffee with evaporated milk - that tasted very strange indeed. But not nearly as strange as the time a barmaid put peppermint cordial in a half of lager instead of lime! 

• I have known quite a few people at work who drink black tea and occasionally I have tried it. Not too bad if very weak. I would rather have tea black than with UHT milk which always tastes tainted to me! Does UHT milk taste odd to you? 

• I only started liking tea when milk was put in it.

In my early childhood my mother made tea, either black, or with lemon juice or with various red and darker juices.  Never with milk!!!  And my teeth were really stained!!!!

Then at a summer camp when I was eight.  They served tea with milk.  And I fell in love.  It was lovely.   From then on I always drank tea with milk.  But my mother never tried tea with milk to her dying day.

• How interesting - I didn't eat cheese at all as a child - found the taste revolting. When I was about 14 I accidentally ate some cheese and realised I liked it! Still can't eat xmas cake, xmas pudding or mince pies (broccoli and tomatos are fine). My daughter used to call broccoli 'tree' which was wonderfully descriptive! 

• Hate the smell of tea as well!  Interestingly though I never used to drink coffee either until about 15 years ago. Similar to you,  realised I'd better start drinking tea or coffee to be like sociable and fit in with the NTs like,  thought coffee was the lesser of two evils.  Took me about two weeks to go from nor liking it to liking it,  then soon progressed to really really strong coffee!  Also started liking dark chocolate and cheese at the same time.  Never got there with tea though!  Nor broccoli.  Nor tomatoes.