Need to declutter - anyone else have a problem with this?

Hello all, 

I am interested to know whether any of you have had problems with clutter, and/or dealing with it. Although I do conform in some ways to the Aspie stereotype of everything ordered, organised into its collections and categorised, I came to realise that there is just too much of it.

Many mornings, I have looked at the clutter  and unfinished tasks from my bed and felt so overwhelmed that I haven't even wanted to get up. I just want to stick my head under the covers and pretend it's not there. I have accumulated too much stuff over the years, much of it connected with unfinished projects or uncompleted tasks. I have reached the point where I feel oppressed by all this STUFF and it is causing me real stress and anxiety.

I can't keep the house clean or tidy,  because there's too much stuff in the way. I took 2 days off work and started a major declutter (managed to do clothes, kitchen and bathroom) but now I feel like I have stalled and that the declutter itself is going to end up on the unfinished projects list.

I look at the state of the place and it makes me feel like a useless human being. I mean, not living in a tip is pretty basic self care, right? And it seems that I can't manage it. Not finishing things is a problem too - I get overwhelmed and give up, then that makes me feel useless too. Does anyone else feel like this?

It's not helped by my OH, who is lovely and very compatible on most levels, but grew up in a really messy house so claims he simply doesn't notice. I tried to explain that either he needs to help me to get some of the junk out of here, or he needs to do his share of the cleaning (he doesn't lift a finger normally). I don't think he took any notice. This seems to be par for the course. I feel like no-one every acknowledges anything is wrong until I break. I feel like they must know (I even tell them pretty directly on occasion), but if they acknowledge it, they might have to do something to help, and so they just stick their fingers in their ears and pretend to be oblivious. I am trying hard not to be hurt/upset by this because in most respects, my OH is great, but what I really feel is: you know this causes me stress and anxiety, and that I can't cope with doing it all, but to help with that you would have to make an effort, and you don't want to do that. In other words, "I don't give a stuff if it makes you miserable, as long as I don't have to lift a finger to do anything about it". He doesn't care enough to help, which upsets me.

I do a full time job with a long commute, so most days I am out at 7am and not home until 7.30pm, so time is a factor as well.

So after that ramble, I would love to know whether anyone else has managed to find a way to organise themselves, to follow through on things and generally to keep their house in order. Or are you all as overwhelmed as I am?

Parents
  • I really can't handle clutter.  It does my head in.  My last partner was terrible with it.  Mess everywhere.  I'm glad she's gone now.

• Yeah that's exactly it, does the head in. Clutter externally transfers to mental clutter and makes it very hard to focus on anything, and very easy to get overwhelmed!

• I agree with this completely.  I find clutter tiring and overwhelming to deal with.  I have noticed that most other people can briefly scan a number of items or area in front of them without having to focus on each item individually, so they don't necessarily 'see' the clutter, but I have to look at every individual item, so I 'see' all the clutter for what it is and it is only then that you notice just how much stuff there is to 'see'.

Supermarkets are my biggest irritation for this.  The reason I memorise the layout of the store is so I can find things easily and not have to look at every single item to find what I want.  When they move things, I then have to look at EVERYTHING to try and find what I want, which sends my anxiety skyrocketing and often means I am in the store much longer than I anticipated.  How people just quickly scan to find what they want is beyond me.  This is why I prefer online shopping as it is so much more logical.

• I am a mad dog lady too - I like both! Only have cats at the moment, but we're planning on getting a dog next year.

If your Buddha watches over you like my frog does, perhaps it would be kind to give him more of a view ;-)

• Your little bronze frog sounds delightful. How lovely to have a beautiful tactile object with presence by your bed. I must declutter my bedside table there's a little marble Buddha overshadowed by a massive pile of books. Mad cat ladies are right up there with us mad dog ladies (which I am very proud to be!).

• Soaps were fabulous in the 1960s and 1970s. As well as different coloured bars you could get sea shell soaps and lots of other shapes. Do you remember the red foul smelling soap some schools used to have? It was truly disgusting! A million miles from Camay or Imperial Leather with their wonderful creamy lather! 

• I am not really fond of frogs, and think they not the prettiest of creatures (I am another cat person, of which there seem to be plenty on here). Most of the frog things have been quietly disposed of - luckily my aunt lives far away and doesn't visit my house, so she will never know!

There is one exception. I have a little bronze frog, which I think I remember from the packaging was based on a statue from ancient Egypt, and that is beautiful, and wonderfully tactile. I often pick it up just to feel it in my hands. It has a real presence about it as well, if that's not a strange thing to say. even though it is small, I notice it every time I walk into the room. I have him watching over me in bed!

Luckily I do not get bought loads of things with cats on .... I am enough of a mad cat lady already, without having to advertise it Grin

• I am not really fond of frogs, and think they not the prettiest of creatures (I am another cat person, of which there seem to be plenty on here). Most of the frog things have been quietly disposed of - luckily my aunt lives far away and doesn't visit my house, so she will never know!

There is one exception. I have a little bronze frog, which I think I remember from the packaging was based on a statue from ancient Egypt, and that is beautiful, and wonderfully tactile. I often pick it up just to feel it in my hands. It has a real presence about it as well, if that's not a strange thing to say. even though it is small, I notice it every time I walk into the room. I have him watching over me in bed!

Luckily I do not get bought loads of things with cats on .... I am enough of a mad cat lady already, without having to advertise it Grin

Children
  • I am a mad dog lady too - I like both! Only have cats at the moment, but we're planning on getting a dog next year.

If your Buddha watches over you like my frog does, perhaps it would be kind to give him more of a view ;-)

• Your little bronze frog sounds delightful. How lovely to have a beautiful tactile object with presence by your bed. I must declutter my bedside table there's a little marble Buddha overshadowed by a massive pile of books. Mad cat ladies are right up there with us mad dog ladies (which I am very proud to be!).