Looking for Support for Young Adults with Autism

Hi, I just joined this community hoping to see if anyone can help me? Blush I was diagnosed with Autism (Aspergers) in October 2017. My parents and I are struggling to find support for me on what I could do next. I have signed up for E-befriending but there aren’t many things for young adults. I really need the support.

Does anyone have any tips, links or guidence that could help me through this please? I really would like to be able to understand better and see what support is out there for me that could help me with employment, everyday life etc

Thanks for reading! Blush

Amy x

Parents
  • What part of the UK do you live in? The NAS has various branches in different locations. You might be able to join an adult social club?

www.autism.org.uk/.../group.aspx

• Hi, thank you for replying to my post. I live in the Wirral area. I don't drive and neither does my parents. I have just looked at the link you put in your reply, and all the support groups are either in London, Manchester or places that are too far for me to travel. I am looking for support near me, and ways that could help with my Autism. I stay in 24/7 unless I need to go out, but if I do go out my mum comes with me every time. I have no friends, I don't work (atm) I am just struggling to find support for young adults with autism x

• > what I could do next

It's easy to get sucked into negatives but I prefer to try and think of things as being like a card game - you can't change the hand you're dealt, but you can try and play it the best you can.  You might not always win but I think there's some satisfaction in trying to do as well as you possibly could.  Potentially there's always room for improvement.

So what sorts of things would you like to do next?  What things interest you or are you good at?  What things do you currently struggle with that you'd like to get better at?  Pick a few of those things that you think are most important / would help you the most and try and break them down into small steps.  As you get improvements on some things then you can start to work on other things.  Just remember the cliches "Rome wasn't built in a day" and "Life is a marathon not a sprint."  As long as you're slowly moving forwards you're doing OK.

Once you have some ideas, ask if people have any suggestions / advice on how you might break those things down into small steps and move them forward.

• I will have a look at that YouTube video soon. I know it's hard to not get sucked into feeling what you can't do, because it is difficult when you see people doing things that you would like to do. But yesterday, I got an email from Chester Zoo and they say they do an internship that I wouldn't need experience. Only problem for me there is that I have to be there for 8am and I need to wake up around 5:30am to be able to get the buses I need to arrive on time. I am leaving that as an option just in case I don't find anything else. I said to my parents that if this is something I would like to do then I have to put the effort in and get myself up for that time etc.

With drawing I only like drawing in my spare time, I wouldn't consider a career in it. I only like drawing cartoons too as they are a lot easier to draw lol xD Yes there is a library and I probably be able to find things online but I think I would stick to keeping it as a hobbie.

Yeah just like my drawing, I like to keep them as a hobbie when I don't fancy playing sims or on my PlayStation.

What do you mean? You have confused me on this part?? x

• I will have a look at that YouTube video soon. I know it's hard to not get sucked into feeling what you can't do, because it is difficult when you see people doing things that you would like to do. But yesterday, I got an email from Chester Zoo and they say they do an internship that I wouldn't need experience. Only problem for me there is that I have to be there for 8am and I need to wake up around 5:30am to be able to get the buses I need to arrive on time. I am leaving that as an option just in case I don't find anything else. I said to my parents that if this is something I would like to do then I have to put the effort in and get myself up for that time etc.

With drawing I only like drawing in my spare time, I wouldn't consider a career in it. I only like drawing cartoons too as they are a lot easier to draw lol xD Yes there is a library and I probably be able to find things online but I think I would stick to keeping it as a hobbie.

Yeah just like my drawing, I like to keep them as a hobbie when I don't fancy playing sims or on my PlayStation.

What do you mean? You have confused me on this part?? x

Children
No Data