Did anything good happen today? Aug 2018

I hope this is still ok, so often we are talking about our problems, and quite rightly so, we have so many and very few places to get help but I think we should also have a place to share our successes how ever small they may be.

Did something make you smile or make you feel good?

Did you do something that you struggle with?

Please share what ever it is.

Song.

Parents
  • After months of procrastination, I finally contacted my GP surgery for an appointment so I can ask for a referral for possible Asperger's syndrome. Usually you have to wait 2 or 3 weeks for a non urgent appointment, but the receptionist has booked me in for next Monday afternoon (*OMG*), feeling nervous but hoping for a successful start.

• So pleased for you. Are you planning on taking AQ scores etc with you? I asked for a referral from my GP the other week. Luckily it was over the phone, my old GP has just retired so I hadn’t met the new doctor so there wasn’t any pre-conceptions from either party. 

The GP had phoned for another reason (it had been flagged to him that I was suffering MH difficulties so he called to see what support could be offered). The final few sentences of the conversation was me blurting out that I was struggling partly due to suspected autism so he explained that he would refer me and that they would send out a batch of questionnaires. I asked if that included an AQ questionnaire. He asked if I’d completed one before and knew my score. Yes, I said, and 45/50.

The reason I suggest bring AQ scores is in case your nerves cause you to clam up and so you have something to “show” in case you can’t speak.

well done and best wishes 

• Thanks, yes, I have AQ test results, also a letter  describing other things which made me think I might be autistic and why I want to know, in case nerves get the better of me.

Reply Children
  • Yay!... so what changed his mind? So well being doing this together! Keep in touch 

• Hi, Ellie, just wanted to let you know that after a return visit to my GP he is now happy to refer me to the Asperger's service in Norwich. It happened a little while ago, and I was going to hold back from telling anyone until I heard from them, but have realised it could be a long wait. Best wishes.

• Yay... x

just sad that you’re going to have to battle a bit harder

• Ellie, at risk of being repetitive, thanks again. It just goes to show you can't believe everything a GP tells you. Now something good has happened today. Slight smile

• Ellie, thank you so much. That's really helpful. I'll contact the Asperger service. (And perhaps I'd better let the GP know about it too. He might want to fill in the unfortunate gap in his training. And work on his "bedside manner".)

• The assessment service in Norwich (see other reply) offers Adult Diagnostic Services, serving the following areas:

Acle, Aldborough, Attleborough, Aylsham, Barnham, Blakeney, Blofield, Boughton, Bowthorpe, Brancaster, Brundall, Burnham Market, Cantley, Cawston, Clenchwarton, Coltishall, Cringleford, Cromer, Dereham, Dersingham, Dickleburgh, Diss, Docking, Downham Market, Drayton, East Harling, Emneth, Fakenham, Felthorpe, Feltwell, Gayton, Great Massingham, Grimston, Harleston, Heacham, Hellesdon, Hempnall, Hethersett, High Kelling, Hingham, Holt, Horning, Horsford, Horsham St Faiths, Hoveton, Hunstanton, Kelling, Kenninghall, King's Lynn, Lakenham, Lenwade, Lingwood, Litcham, Loddon, Long Stratton, Ludham, Marham, Mattishall, Melton Constable, Methwold, Mile Cross, Mulbarton, Mundesley, Necton, New Costessey, Newton Flotman, Newton St Faiths, North Elmham, North Walsham, Norwich, Old Buckenham, Old Catton, Old Costessey, Poringland, Potter Heigham, Pulham Market, Rackheath, Reedham, Reepham, Rockland St Mary, Rudham, Salhouse, Saxlingham Nethergate, Sheringham, Shipdham, Snettisham, South Walsham, Southrepps, Spixworth, Sprowston, Stalham, Stoke Holy Cross, Swaffham, Swanton Morley, Taverham, Terrington St Clement, Terrington St John, Tharston, Thetford, Thorpe St Andrew, Toftwood, Upwell, Walsingham, Watlington, Watton, Weeting, Wells, Wootton, Wroxham, Wymondham

I might not be medically qualified but I do know how to use Google!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

These are the current predicted figures of those on the spectrum in Norfolk for 2020.  They do exist and there is a diagnostic service that you can be referred to!

Show this to your doctor: (from the same report)

Google the NHS report (published in 2012) - I tried to upload the pdf but NAS does not seem to like such things!

Adults with Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASC) Public Health Needs Assessment - Public Health data and information to contribute to a “Needs Assessment” exercise for NHS Norfolk and Waveney

It was written by:

Kadhim Alabady, Principal Epidemiologist, NHS Norfolk and Waveney, County Hall, Martineau Lane, Norwich, Norfolk, NR1 2DH

Telephone: 01603 638362.

Email: Kadhim.alabady@norfolk.gov.uk

____

This Elephant is SOOOO angry she's turning green!!

• Aaaaarrrggh! OrinocoFlo - that's terrible.  So now you've posted how you got on today we need to turn this around to something positive!! x

Is there more than one doctor at the practice? Has he heard of somewhere called Norwich?

https://www.heron.nhs.uk/heron/organisationdetails.aspx?id=22623

Asperger Service Norfolk (Norfolk Community Health & Care NHS Trust)
    Address: Charing Cross Centre
    17-19 St John
    Maddermarket

Norwich
    Norfolk
    NR2 1DN
    Referrals & Information: 01603 620 500
  • Hi, Ellie, this doesn't fit in the "did anything good happen today" section, (Sorry) but you asked me to let you know how I got on.

I told the doctor why I was there, and handed over my letter and AQ scores. He barely glanced at them before telling me that he didn't know of anywhere he could refer me to for adult autism testing in the county (Norfolk). I told him about the Lorna Wing centres in Cambridge and Essex (which he hadn't heard of), and he looked them up online and repeated that he couldn't refer me to a different county. He then went on to say that autism is a spectrum and normal people often exhibit some of the traits, and that online testing isn't conclusive. (I do know that. That's one reason why I wanted the referral. Disappointed) Unfortunately by this time I had clammed up and was unable to even pretend to make eye contact. He gave me the address of a Wellbeing centre and suggested I refer myself to them for help with my self confidence.

I can't help thinking that if there really isn't an NHS adult referral strategy in Norfolk there damn well ought to be. I want to try for a second opinion, but not sure who to ask yet.

• Good x let us know how you get on.