Iv'e just found out that everyone at my work knows i have aspergers

My manager has informed all of my coworkers, and i'm pretty sure she did it when i first started working as a coworker randomly said to me "my cousin has aspergers too", i asked "how did you know", and she said "our manager told her/everyone"... i have no problem with people knowing this but i feel i should have the right to let people know or not, i'm not even sure how she knows. is this illegal?

It makes sense though most of my coworkers act timidly/awkard around me

• It sounds like a massive breach of confidence!

• They can only inform people with your permission. 

• Your manager should not have informed anyone else without your permission to do so as this would be breaching confidentiality. It would be a bit like someone telling their manager they are pregnant or suffering from some illness and then the manager telling everyone, it’s just not on and could cause harm to the worker concerned!

My colleagues do know about my Asperger’s, but my manager asked on my very first day if I wanted them to know and if I wanted to tell them myself or if I wanted her to tell them for me. I opted for my manager to tell my colleagues, which she did, but she has not told anybody else and wouldn’t be able to without my permission.

• Wow, so I'm pretty sure that's not allowed unless you agreed for them to tell everyone else. D: I suspect it may be a breach of some equality/confidentiality law or other.

Apart from that, it's just rude. I'd be worried about what she's told them about the condition itself if they hadn't heard of it/asked follow-up questions. >>

I've only let one manager disclose for me to other employees- I specifically asked her to (circumstances made it too difficult for me to do it myself) and she was someone I absolutely trusted and had worked with for years. I would be extremely upset if a new one had done so without my consent.