Thinking of open uni

I'm thinking of doing an open uni course. I never did do my exams at school as i hated big crowds and things. Lately, i have that wanting to do something feeling and thought of an open uni course. Maybe in history or history and politics. Im fascinated with the past and having to see how politics have shaped the world i think that would be great

Has anyone else here done an open uni course or doing one. Is it any good or should i give it a miss? 

• I've looked into OU a few times. In the end I went to a...not online uni and quit after two weeks due to social issues (wouldn't have had them if I were allowed to make friends with the lecturers but all the students I found thoroughly boring always talking about drinking that I ended up feeling very lonely). I think in hindsight OU would've been a good move.

Since I've been doing other things and had a online course on the side. If you're unsure how you'll get along with motivating yourself and such I'd recommend checking out coursera.org. If you don't have the money to spend on the course you can "audit" the course for free. It does however mean you don't get your tests and assignments graded which I find quite vital to my confidence to continue the course. Either way have a look at that and see if there's any courses you fancy. I've rather surprised myself at how well I've kept up with deadlines.

• The OU isn't the only supplier of on-line degree's now so depending n your subject you may have the choice of a few institutions.

I love studying so have completed a number of courses at different types of uni's, including a BA, PGCE, MA and a few professional PG Certs and this is what I found:

Russel group uni's - focus on lecturing, which doesn't work for me as I am terrible at remembering verbal information. I also feel that these institutions don't live up to their hype as they play it safe due to being worried about their reputation They are often not very disability friendly.

Post 1992 institutions (ones who are TEF gold) - amazing teaching, fantastic resources, lots of support

OU - amazing teaching,  a lot more work than f2f courses but lots of support, does require a certain degree of independence to succeed

• It works very well from what I understand from other autistic friends that have used it

• It is true about the pace.  Much faster and more demanding, too, at the top universities.  I found myself ignoring the social scene altogether.  I spent most of my time working.  But I was motivated then, whereas I never was at school.  Looking back on it, three years certainly wasn't long enough.  Sometimes the reading became stressful - say, a Dickens novel, another novel and a Shakespeare play per week.  OU courses would be much better if you'd struggle with workload (and the social aspect, of course).

• I completed my MA with the OU and found it to be a lot less stressful than my undergrad, which was at a F2F uni, as it largely removed the social aspect that caused me so many difficulties. The main difference with the OU compared to F2F courses is the pace of the course. The speed that you're expected to complete the assignments is significantly faster with the OU compared to a bricks and mortar uni. Rather than one assignment that is due in at the end of the module, there was often 4/5 assignments that needed completing a few weeks apart. Plus, the largest piece of work often had the shortest deadline.

• I got my degree through the Open University. It was a great way to study. There are tutorials that you can attend (usually small group) and usually an online group who have the same tutor. They also have online course forums.

I would certainly recommend it. Also look at http://www.open.ac.uk/about/open-educational-resources/openlearn/free-learning and try a free short course to see how you get on.

i graduated when I was 42, ten years before my ASD diagnosis. I

• I find giving myself deadlines work. I paid for my theory test before even learning it. That way i either learned it or i lose out on money. I learned spent hours every day and i passed it.

• I'm the same.  I spent my three years at uni largely alone studying.  I didn't really make friends there, but I wasn't there for that anyway.  What I enjoyed most about it was being able to study at my own pace and in areas that interested me, rather than having it all prescribed and directed as in a school curriculum.  I need motivation, too - but I found that deadlines naturally provided that for me.  If I have deadlines, etc., then I'm able to knuckle down and get on with the work.  Left to myself, I struggle. 

• Thanks. I'm not much of a people person, so i thought moving at my own pace in my own time would suit me so much. I have the ability to learn. Motivation can be a problem but if i get a routine down and keep to it then that would work.

I know so much about history, so i wanted to try something and put it to good use.

• Hi TheFunFact,

I hated school.  I was hopeless and didn't learn much.  I left without taking exams, too.  At 28, I went to uni.  It was the most important experience of my life.  It helped to make me who I am now.  So I'd say go for it!  The OU is different, of course, and you'll need to be very self-motivated - learning at a distance.  But it suits some people.  Maybe try a taster course first and see how you get on.  But certainly give it a go.  History and politics - good choices!  I did English Lit., which naturally involves history and politics in the context of the writers I studied: Shakespeare, Dickens, Orwell and so on.

Good luck,

Tom