4 year old hates trousers'

my son hates wearing trousers finding it ery difficult at the moment especially with the cold winter months he always wants to wear shorts I find I'm always saying to him if he wears them I will reward him running out of things to say , he gets so frustrated and angey most of the time he wants to be naked.

any other tips strategies.

Thanks Lu

Parents Reply
  • I do experience some sensory issues myself as I notice a lot of similarities , as I don't like touching food , or eating hot food either .

Autism is inherited, so maybe it comes down your side.  It might be worth investigating by taking the test. Depends on whether you feel you exhibit any other traits.

Is he going to a mainstream school?  Is he quite high-functioning in other ways?  The chap I'm talking about is highly ritualised in his behaviour patterns.  He can read and write and is able to use a computer, and understand PECS.  But in other ways, he needs 1-1 attention.  He cannot go out alone and is unable to do things like prepare meals.  He objects strongly to whistling or singing by other people, and also has Pica - so we need to be very careful about leaving small inedible objects around.

Sounds like you've got a few things in place.  The waits can be frustratingly slow!  If you're interested, there's a good book available - written by a mother bringing up a highly autistic son. 'Making Peace With Autism' by Susan Senator.  It says a lot about the rewards as well as the tribulations.  It might offer some comfort, anyway.  It's expensive - but there are used copies for a few pennies on Amazon Marketplace.

Children