4 year old hates trousers'

my son hates wearing trousers finding it ery difficult at the moment especially with the cold winter months he always wants to wear shorts I find I'm always saying to him if he wears them I will reward him running out of things to say , he gets so frustrated and angey most of the time he wants to be naked.

any other tips strategies.

Thanks Lu

Parents
  • Hi Lu,

I work with a young autistic lad like it.  He's been like it from childhood (he's now 21).  He will only wear t-shirts, jogging bottoms and Crocs or flip-flops.  He refuses to wear socks and any form of underwear.  When going out, he'll put a coat on - but that's as much extra clothing as he'll take.  He's highly autistic and quite challenging.  It seems it's clearly a sensory issue with him - though he doesn't seem to have any aversion to any particular fabrics or textures.  It's just how he is.

Have you spoken to anyone else about it yet?  Can your GP refer you to any services?

Take a look here - there might be something to help...

http://www.autism.org.uk/about/behaviour/obsessions-repetitive-routines.aspx

Ideally, it would help if he could perhaps see a behaviour therapist.  Depends what the resources are in your area.

• thank you so much for posting , I am new to all this , haven't spoken to many people at the moment its all pretty new , we are currently being referred to a neurodevelopmental team , wait could be a long time maybe a year , so I'm looking at just doing things by myself . , we have on board health visitor school are aware and awaiting Senco and I have a support team that comes out weekly to support with behaviour all a slow process at the moment , will check this site out looks great , yes we think it might be sensory as other issues have cropped up , such as he doesn't like it when his food is hot , and textures in food such as bits/sticky hands . but other many issues such as meltdowns etc I'm no sure which direction we are taking its so difficult and frustrating , also I do experience some sensory issues myself as I notice a lot of similarities , as I don't like touching food , or eating hot food either .

• I do experience some sensory issues myself as I notice a lot of similarities , as I don't like touching food , or eating hot food either .

Autism is inherited, so maybe it comes down your side.  It might be worth investigating by taking the test. Depends on whether you feel you exhibit any other traits.

Is he going to a mainstream school?  Is he quite high-functioning in other ways?  The chap I'm talking about is highly ritualised in his behaviour patterns.  He can read and write and is able to use a computer, and understand PECS.  But in other ways, he needs 1-1 attention.  He cannot go out alone and is unable to do things like prepare meals.  He objects strongly to whistling or singing by other people, and also has Pica - so we need to be very careful about leaving small inedible objects around.

Sounds like you've got a few things in place.  The waits can be frustratingly slow!  If you're interested, there's a good book available - written by a mother bringing up a highly autistic son. 'Making Peace With Autism' by Susan Senator.  It says a lot about the rewards as well as the tribulations.  It might offer some comfort, anyway.  It's expensive - but there are used copies for a few pennies on Amazon Marketplace.

• I got 28 but I found some of the questions irrelevant. I am also female and have recently found out that the profile may differ for females. If it had asked about my organisational skills or feeling like a round peg in a square hole, I may have got more! Haha!

• Thanks for your help was interesting to do this . :)

• Plenty of non-autistic people can have 'autistic' traits, such as noise sensitivity.  20 is quite a low score, so you sound perhaps more like that.

Reply Children