Autism and gender dysphoria

I am a parent of a 17 year old who is experiencing gender dysphoria. I will support my child no matter what or how they decide to live their life but I would like to give them the opportunity to talk to someone who has experience in this field. They agree this would be helpful to them. Does anyone have recommendations for a therapist/psychologist/psychotherapist who has experience with this subject? We live in the North London area and would prefer face to face but could do virtual sessions if someone comes highly recommended. 

Parents
  • Get them on the waiting list NOW for an NHS gender identity clinic GIC. It will be at least 5 years, and possibly quite a lot more, before their first appointment, so the sooner you can start the wait, the better. See your GP for a referral (even just processing the referral takes several months, in my experience).

If they change their mind in the meantime, no big deal, just let the clinic know it's no longer needed.

The most helpful thing for me to figure things out has been to connect with other trans/non-binary people. Look for youth LGBT+ groups in your area and encourage your child to attend.

Reply Children
No Data