Autism and gender dysphoria

I am a parent of a 17 year old who is experiencing gender dysphoria. I will support my child no matter what or how they decide to live their life but I would like to give them the opportunity to talk to someone who has experience in this field. They agree this would be helpful to them. Does anyone have recommendations for a therapist/psychologist/psychotherapist who has experience with this subject? We live in the North London area and would prefer face to face but could do virtual sessions if someone comes highly recommended. 

Parents
  • I have a transgender son. Your first port of call should be your GP. From there they'll get referred for assessment. The waiting list is ridiculously long so don't expect anything to happen any time soon.

My sons journey started at 14, he's now 20 and hasn't been seen/assessed yet.

He gets the odd letter or email offering support or group suggestions.

Just be there for them. Learn what you can and push your GP and mp for any support they can offer.

Something I discovered is that the GMC recommend that GPs recommend offer bridging treatment. My son went down that route and managed to get hormone therapy from the GP. 

The system is broken and is a political football that's keeps being punted into the long grass.

I firmly believe that if I hadn't managed to persuade my GP to provide bridging treatment I would have lost my child.

Good luck, I don't want to sound so negative but it has been quite trying at times.

• Thank you and I am sorry it has taken so long for your son to be seen. I think my child is confused as at present is saying they do not want to psychically change their body or get hormone therapy. That is why I want them to speak to someone who can help them formulate their thinking. there was never any indication whatsoever that they felt uncomfortable with their birth assigned sex until a few days ago. I asked my child how long it had taken them to pluck up the courage to tell me and they said a few days so this is not something they have been thinking about for very long. I have asked in the past if they have ever felt they were born in the wrong body, as they have trans friends, and the response was always no.  i am very open and accepting of people no matter how they identify and my child is aware I would not judge them negatively for this.  I am aware that GIDS had a 24 month waiting list as a minimum so willing to get private help in the meantime. Wishing you and your son the best of luck.

• We weren't remotely surprised when he came out to us.  Every since he was small, it was trousers every time.

Good luck, if you have a good GP they should be able to point you in the right direction. Always remember that knowledge is power no matter how it turns out.

Reply Children
No Data