Mainstream secondary education

I am the mother of a 12 year old autistic son and I am also currently waiting for my own ASD assessment. Our son started  mainstream secondary education in September and for the first 2 weeks he settled in really well but then it totally went downhill. Many of my sons teachers are still expecting him to conform, they are aware of his autism and have access to his autism passport, but his behaviours are just seen as a challenge and it's not being looked into why he is being triggered and what they can do in a positive way to address his needs. Recently his behaviour has escalated which includes hitting, spitting,  kicking and putting his hands round other pupils necks. The School are taking a blanket approach with his behaviour which means he is taken out of class for 2 days and put in what is called 'inclusion',  this does not take into consideration whether it's the right thing to do for his needs it's just done because that is the rule of the School. My son is really unhappy at School and is very angry with what he feels that he's being forced into. My son has no educational needs he is high functioning but this comes with it's own challenges, he does not like doing work that he finds uninteresting or boring and this is resulting in conflict with the teachers. We have a meeting planned within school after half term, but I'm worried that they won't take on board what we are saying and the fact that I feel that my son is being indirectly discriminated against. My son also turns 13 in September so we also have the added challenge of hormones coming into play as well as his neuro diversity.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we are really struggling and as a mother I am deeply distressed. 

Parents
  • Hi NAS91899

It may help to visit our advice and guidance on behaviour: https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/behaviour

This provides information and explanations of why your son may be behaving in this way at school and how it is linked to unmet needs. This may help you to explain to the school the causes for his behaviour and help you to find strategies to support him.

It may also be helpful to read our online advice and guidance on school exclusion: https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/education/exclusions

In England, the following organisations may be able to offer help: 

• Every local area has a Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) that can provide information, advice and support to parents and carers of children and young people with SEND.  
    • Independent Provider of Special Education Advice (IPSEA) is a registered charity that offers free and independent information, advice and support to help get the right education for children and young people with all kinds of SEND. 
    •  Coram’s Child Law Advice service can be accessed through their website or contacted on 0300 330 5485 from Monday to Friday, 8am – 6pm.

Northern Ireland

• The Children’s Law Centre provides a free legal advice service and legal representation for children and young people.
    • The NI Commissioner for Children and Young People (NICCY) and their work is focused on making sure children and young people have access to their rights in their day-to-day lives, so they have the best opportunity to reach

Wales

Scotland

Best wishes

Sharon Mod

• Hi NAS91899

It may help to visit our advice and guidance on behaviour: https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/behaviour

This provides information and explanations of why your son may be behaving in this way at school and how it is linked to unmet needs. This may help you to explain to the school the causes for his behaviour and help you to find strategies to support him.

It may also be helpful to read our online advice and guidance on school exclusion: https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/education/exclusions

In England, the following organisations may be able to offer help: 

• Every local area has a Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) that can provide information, advice and support to parents and carers of children and young people with SEND.  
    • Independent Provider of Special Education Advice (IPSEA) is a registered charity that offers free and independent information, advice and support to help get the right education for children and young people with all kinds of SEND. 
    •  Coram’s Child Law Advice service can be accessed through their website or contacted on 0300 330 5485 from Monday to Friday, 8am – 6pm.

Northern Ireland

• The Children’s Law Centre provides a free legal advice service and legal representation for children and young people.
    • The NI Commissioner for Children and Young People (NICCY) and their work is focused on making sure children and young people have access to their rights in their day-to-day lives, so they have the best opportunity to reach

Wales

Scotland

Best wishes

Sharon Mod

Children
No Data