Violent videogames

So I sometimes find myself attracted to really violent videogames and I was wondering...is that bad?

• Hi blueblood,

It depends on what you find attractive about it. Sometimes, having very graphic violence can make a game much more thrilling and emotionally powerful, so it's not always a bad thing!x

Much love <3

• Nope. In fact all the research shows it helps people. If violent videogames where are so bad why is violent crime so low.  The same nonsence has been said about books, radio, movies, music, tv.

There also strange correlation between release of games like GTA and drops in violent crime. 

• Not my kind of game but looks like fairly classic survival horror. Only really an issue if you plan to copy it in real life.

If you count how many people I've killed over the years in video games in probably numbers in the millions. That's not to count various other creatures and machines using everything from hands to nuclear weapons. I've never killed anyone in reality life though, not do I intend to.

• If you aren't attracted to IRL violence, don't worry about it. Most people are attracted to violence but hate it in real life. The way news is presented is more likely to inspire violence in my opinion. All the news I watched this evening made me think that most people watching it must think the world is like a 1980's action film. Video games are a form of art. Most art has violent themes. Movies, paintings, songs, even ballet. I don't think people going to see a renaissance art exhibition or a Shakespeare play (which are very violent in some cases) are guilty of anything, so why should you be. Enjoy it and have fun. The media like to demonise games. It's just nonsense.

• The specific game I am talking about is a horror survival game called dead by daylight.

• Only if it's worrying or upsetting you, I would think. If you enjoy the games, I can't see how that's "bad". 

• Lots of people like really violent videogames. That's why there are really violent videogames.

• I think it would depend on the reason for your attraction and your definition of really violent. I play plenty of video games, some would be regarded as really violent, others have no violence, it's not the violence itself that I enjoy, but the gameplay, the narrative etc so it's more complicated than just the game having a level of violent content.