Future Living Arrangements

Hello

This is my first post here, and I’m pretty anxious about posting to be quite honest.

My name is Scott, I’m about to become 24yo, I live in the Wolverhampton area, and I’m on the Autistic Spectrum. I’m not entirely sure of my exact diagnosis - definitely not Aspergers, but I’m not 100% sure I come under HFA. In the past my Mom referred to my diagnosis as either: just “Autism” or “He’s socially and emotionally disabled”. I’d be interested in getting a copy of my official diagnosis sometime in the future, just for personal clarification. I should add that I was diagnosed around 7-8yo.

Anyway, I’m looking for some advice and information in regards to my future and what is available. I still live at home with my Mom and two siblings. My Mom is currently my advocate/power of attorney. We’re about to start the transition from a lifetime award of mid-rate DLA to PIP - in fact, we’ll be filling in the forms tomorrow! In the last few months I’ve been starting to think about my future, especially in regards to living arrangements and what is available for a person like me. In short I would like to move out in the near future.

I have heard about Independent Living or Supported Living services previously, but I'm not entirely sure I would qualify.

So my question are:

• What would be my options?
  • Would I be able to claim housing benefit?
  • Would leaving home affect my current benefits? I currently receive ESA & DLA (soon to be PIP if I qualify)

I should add that I've probably forgot to include some necessary information, so feel free to ask me anything.

-Scott