Others denying your autism/imposter syndrome

When someone does this, what's the word?

I can't get it into my head.

Anyway, I was with a family member recently and she said these things to me:

There's no way your sister is autistic (I believe that my sister is).

She doesn't show a single trait.

I described my sister's sensitivities and communication difficulties.

The family member said that she'd worked for 5 years with autistic children (dismissing my own knowledge).

She said that children are frequently misdiagnosed with autism when it's just trauma etc.

I said to her that in older women it manifests quite differently from children.

She patronised me by explaining bias when completing the questionnaires - I said I knew about this but autistic people are very unlikely to complete the questionnaire with answers that were going to lead to a diagnosis, simply because that's how are brains are wired - to be honest and accurate but I think she was basically saying that this is what I had done when I completed the RAADS-R as part of my diagnostic assessment.

She said back to me that autism is a lifelong condition - you don't suddenly develop it!

I said I know that and tried to explain about masking without hitting her.

I had to shut up because I was getting very annoyed.

It was quite clear she was telling me I'm not autistic either.

This is very much playing on my mind.

Do you have similar experiences and/or do you get 'imposter syndrome'?

Parents
  • I think it could be called "ableist", it's  to deny someone's struggles and suggest their disability "isn't" (that's a term I heard used in a psychoeducation session to describe a similar scenario)

It's a massive trigger to anyone "high functioning" to be told they're not autistic or don't appear to be, because that term in itself isn't accurate, it sounds like a superpower , but the higher we "function" (appear to cope) the more stress we are bottling up and enduring resulting in a burnout.

• I think it could be called "ableist", it's  to deny someone's struggles and suggest their disability "isn't" (that's a term I heard used in a psychoeducation session to describe a similar scenario)

It's a massive trigger to anyone "high functioning" to be told they're not autistic or don't appear to be, because that term in itself isn't accurate, it sounds like a superpower , but the higher we "function" (appear to cope) the more stress we are bottling up and enduring resulting in a burnout.

Children
  • Yes! Exactly the “not looking autistic” is a result of hard and exhausting work of the person affected. High functioning autism affects the person experiencing it highly, while others around - mildly. But many people have no idea about it. No empathy either.