Late diagnosis, female, 60

Hello - I've recently been diagnosed. While reframing your whole life is painful, there is a glimmer of calm because I know I'm not really alone any more; there is understanding out there. I had quite an abusive and bewildering childhood, at home and at school, so although it's not great revisiting and remembering, I think, with a counsellor's help, I'll be able to get over it. Autism isn't the nightmare, it's the things people did and said to make me feel lesser that was. It would be good to connect with other newly diagnosed older people to find out about them, their experiences, how their late diagnosis came about and how they cope. Thanks

Parents
  • Hi, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your diagnosis. Growing up in the 70’s wasn’t easy for many older autistic people. It does all need processing, my advice for what it’s worth is, revisit it all but don’t let it haunt  or punish you any further. I still get comments off, “ You never used to struggle with that.” The truth was I did struggle, you can most probably relate to any behaviour that wasn’t deemed as normal was deemed as bad behaviour and dealt with. In the end you create this person who is accepted by all and burn out / shutdown in private. Good  luck with your journey.

• Hi Roy,

You put the whole experience so eloquently. Everyone who has kindly replied to me today has too. It's so true, we don't appear to others to struggle, but holding up a facade is exhausting.
    Having said that it is incredible to be understood and just knowing you amazing people are here is brilliant. 

• Hi Roy,

You put the whole experience so eloquently. Everyone who has kindly replied to me today has too. It's so true, we don't appear to others to struggle, but holding up a facade is exhausting.
    Having said that it is incredible to be understood and just knowing you amazing people are here is brilliant. 

Children
No Data