Joining the Army

Hi, my name is Matthew. I'm 27 and I have autism. I'm really interested in joining the Army but I've read that they don't accept autistic people which I disagree with as I think due to our excellent observation, honesty, loyalty and dedication a lot of us would be perfectly suited. Maybe I'm wrong in that but I'm sure some would do amazingly in the Army. I think I would.

I'm really intent on joining but my diagnosis of autism is a problem. I'm tempted to try and get the diagnosis removed but I don't know who to ask about that and worry it will not be removed.

I've always dreamed of being in the Army and now I feel crushed that I can't.

Parents
  • you may fail the interview.

i got rejected from both army and navy.

army due to a condition that makes my fingers and toes shut off blood flow if too cold..

navy though... navy i got to the interview and it was all very personal prying interview about your life and history and past... very invasive... they rejected me because they thought i was suspicious as i had no social life and i do nothing, have no friends, dont have a high opinion of my teachers as they asked if i got along with my teachers at school...  so yeah as a autistic person alot of aspects of your life that you answer on will make you fail at the interview even for the navy. because even if you dont tell them your autistic, the life and lack of sociability of a autistic person is just suspicious to them, infact not having a diagnosis likely made that worse as then its up in the air it could be many similar conditions and alot of them are not trustable to give a gun to.

• you may fail the interview.

i got rejected from both army and navy.

army due to a condition that makes my fingers and toes shut off blood flow if too cold..

navy though... navy i got to the interview and it was all very personal prying interview about your life and history and past... very invasive... they rejected me because they thought i was suspicious as i had no social life and i do nothing, have no friends, dont have a high opinion of my teachers as they asked if i got along with my teachers at school...  so yeah as a autistic person alot of aspects of your life that you answer on will make you fail at the interview even for the navy. because even if you dont tell them your autistic, the life and lack of sociability of a autistic person is just suspicious to them, infact not having a diagnosis likely made that worse as then its up in the air it could be many similar conditions and alot of them are not trustable to give a gun to.

Children
  • It’s an interesting discussion, as long before my diagnosis when I was growing up, my dad used to threaten to “put me in the army” to “make a man of me” and at a point where I was beginning to realise that I was gay and was starting the process of coming out as gay - as an aside, I’d wanted to join the air force, having always had a childhood dream of wanting to become a pilot, but it never worked out, as my bullies in school (including the teachers) made sure that I would never have the grades required to get in to the air force after secondary school