Mode of transport: car, bike, legs, magic carpet, teleporter?

How do you get about and are you happy with your mode of transport?

I used my legs, pushbike, moped, buses and trains until 17 years ago when I got my 1st car.

Now my car has died and I don't anticipate being able to drive again, for various reasons.

I'm wanting to make the best of this - far less expense and what I find the unpleasant experience of driving and grappling with other aggressive drivers.

I might get fitter.

I do have a couple of people who would be willing to give me lifts when necessary.

Any upsides anyone can see to me being car free, but also, what about you?

ps.  I no longer work, so that's a huge advantage when not having your own transport.

Parents
  • I like getting public transport so long as it is pre-planned and definite (I prefer train rides to buses) but I cannot stand it when they are super packed and busy as it gets so overwhelming.   

I would love to be able to drive and even though I can technically drive really well according to my family and driving instructor, I keep failing my driving tests due to the pressure and stress on the day! 

• I like getting public transport so long as it is pre-planned and definite (I prefer train rides to buses) but I cannot stand it when they are super packed and busy as it gets so overwhelming.   

I would love to be able to drive and even though I can technically drive really well according to my family and driving instructor, I keep failing my driving tests due to the pressure and stress on the day! 

Children
  • Living in the U.K. and having family in Ireland, getting the train and ferry is a far more civilised way to travel than flying - where possible I try to get direct trains and even better in first class or business class seats - on the ferry, I do like the first class lounge (bring the champagne and caviar lol) as I’m Uber classy lol 

• This is an issue with me too. Some of the services providers here are under new management and poorly managed by inexperienced people who have never used the services they are providing. Busses and show up late or leave without me early then gaslight me into thinking it's my fault. Transportation is one of the areas of my life that is, now, most in need of revision. I'm working on autonomy now. After years of predictable transit, now turned unpredictable, I will have to get a vehicle.