Sensory overload

Hi guys, 

I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do when you realise you are in sensory overload (especially with friends or in public). Also, does anyone have any advice on how to prevent becoming sensorily overloaded or how to recognise the triggers? Thank you so much in advance.

Sincerely,

Someone who really struggles with sensory overload Slight smile

Parents
  • There's usually a "rumble phase" with tell signs of a pending meltdown. During my rumble phase, I will start to stutter. I am told that I also tend to blink rapidly. Since autism is a spectrum disorder, different people have different tells. 

Isolation and quiet preferably in a darkened area are the key to avoiding a meltdown. A meltdown is triggered when a person with ASD becomes overly stimulated. Removing the person from this environment is a must have for avoiding a meltdown. Time will take care of the rest. Leave the person in question alone and don't badger him or her with questions that could better be asked later after the threat of a meltdown has passed. 

• I go 'grey' and it all becomes one thing. Then I just freeze. Although I used to get violent and feel attacked. that  hasn't happened in a very long time. I can tell, like you, the one-set now  and will run for an exit, even if it's just a bathroom stall. I also have NC tech now which has made a huge difference.

• I go 'grey' and it all becomes one thing. Then I just freeze. Although I used to get violent and feel attacked. that  hasn't happened in a very long time. I can tell, like you, the one-set now  and will run for an exit, even if it's just a bathroom stall. I also have NC tech now which has made a huge difference.

Children
No Data