21 year old struggling with interactions with work colleagues

Hi all, 

I’m 21 and recently started a job in retail as i am a student and I’ve completely used up my loan due to everything going up so much in price 

For me, in this new job it’s not so much the customers, or even the work that is the hard part, but instead struggling to get on with my colleagues however a couple times i have been confused by simple instructions which has led to unusual looks from the people giving me them

Currently im spending 8 hours being absolutely mentally exhausted by trying to fit in with the other girls, constantly nitpicking how im stood, what i need to say to seem funny, thinking they all think im a freak because im bad at joining in with the small talk / gossip aspect 

im coming home after work and just breaking down every day because i just can’t access that social connection every one else seems to have, i was hoping for any tips or support

Parents
  • Hi, I'm sorry to hear you're having a difficult time. professional relationships are hard and I think, a lot of us go through a bit of a learning curve with it. Some people have given advice over on this thread - https://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/31835/how-do-you-manage-professional-relationships 

You are not alone. But also, I want to note that it is very easy to blame yourself and your potential communication issues but sometimes your team and Collegues are just not your people and even neurotypical people can Struggle to bridge that gap.

For me, I always focused on the work element until I got more comfortable with the people. It sometimes led them to think I was too serious but polite and professional and that was ok for me. It's hard when you want to fit in, I know but it will come with time.

• Hi, I'm sorry to hear you're having a difficult time. professional relationships are hard and I think, a lot of us go through a bit of a learning curve with it. Some people have given advice over on this thread - https://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/31835/how-do-you-manage-professional-relationships 

You are not alone. But also, I want to note that it is very easy to blame yourself and your potential communication issues but sometimes your team and Collegues are just not your people and even neurotypical people can Struggle to bridge that gap.

For me, I always focused on the work element until I got more comfortable with the people. It sometimes led them to think I was too serious but polite and professional and that was ok for me. It's hard when you want to fit in, I know but it will come with time.

Children
No Data