Using Makeup

I put this in the women and girls section but I'm sure some men and boys use this too - feel free to post guys :) 

Anyways, today I put on some makeup and it was hell! I couldn't stand it for long and had to wash it off as quickly as I could - even now my skin still feels really strange. Guess it'll be like that a while now.

I've never been able to tolerate makeup but thought I'd give it a try today just to see if that's changed. It hadn't :) 

Is anyone else like this?

Parents
  • I began wearing face skin make-up for a skin condition in the form of a rash and extreme sensitivity to light. I've always had sensitive skin in general but for some reason my face is much worse. I've been tested several times for Lupus as apparently the facial rash is very typical of that but the blood test has always been negative.

I wanted to cover it up because I was fed up of people asking me what the rash was on my face or telling me "you don't have to walk around looking like that". Any medical appointment always began with a conversation about that first even if I was there for something different - this I understand. I also needed something which would protect if from the light so this sent me on years of trying different things my skin which it wouldn't react to as I already can't use certain perfumes or certain colourings in skincare products. Like others here, I also needed to find something that wasn't distracting and irritating like labels can be which is what I was finding with some of the make-ups I was trying.

I eventually settled on chemical, colourant and fragrance free mineral powder foundation which has worked great which I couldn't 'feel' on the skin until my asthma symptoms over recent times became very troublesome, I discovered the titanium dioxide in it can cause respiratory issues so I wanted to stop this for a while to see if this helped. I can't hold my breath any length of time and tried putting toilet paper in my nostrils to avoid inhaling any of it during application but then it's in the air anyway from the application so it was pointless I think trying that!

That's now led me back to a liquid mineral foundation made in Australia which is titanium dioxide free and has the same basic ingredients being fragrance and colourant free. It also costs less than the extremely irritating mainstream brands but I am finding the 'feeling' of it a bit weird too, it also comes off the skin so easily but I know if I used the finishing powder it would help this a lot but I want to avoid inhaling any powders.

It seems that to be able to wear make-up you need to have good skin in the first place in which case, why would you need to cover it over.

• I began wearing face skin make-up for a skin condition in the form of a rash and extreme sensitivity to light. I've always had sensitive skin in general but for some reason my face is much worse. I've been tested several times for Lupus as apparently the facial rash is very typical of that but the blood test has always been negative.

I wanted to cover it up because I was fed up of people asking me what the rash was on my face or telling me "you don't have to walk around looking like that". Any medical appointment always began with a conversation about that first even if I was there for something different - this I understand. I also needed something which would protect if from the light so this sent me on years of trying different things my skin which it wouldn't react to as I already can't use certain perfumes or certain colourings in skincare products. Like others here, I also needed to find something that wasn't distracting and irritating like labels can be which is what I was finding with some of the make-ups I was trying.

I eventually settled on chemical, colourant and fragrance free mineral powder foundation which has worked great which I couldn't 'feel' on the skin until my asthma symptoms over recent times became very troublesome, I discovered the titanium dioxide in it can cause respiratory issues so I wanted to stop this for a while to see if this helped. I can't hold my breath any length of time and tried putting toilet paper in my nostrils to avoid inhaling any of it during application but then it's in the air anyway from the application so it was pointless I think trying that!

That's now led me back to a liquid mineral foundation made in Australia which is titanium dioxide free and has the same basic ingredients being fragrance and colourant free. It also costs less than the extremely irritating mainstream brands but I am finding the 'feeling' of it a bit weird too, it also comes off the skin so easily but I know if I used the finishing powder it would help this a lot but I want to avoid inhaling any powders.

It seems that to be able to wear make-up you need to have good skin in the first place in which case, why would you need to cover it over.

Children
No Data