Support after autism diagnosis. Please could you read my description as I would really like some advice.

My son is now 7 years old and is in Year 2 at a mainstream primary school. He does NOT have a statement or whatever it's called now.

When he was diagnosed back in 2013 we were given his diagnosis and it was pretty much there's the diagnosis. Now get on with the rest of your lives. Absolutely no support.

Is that the same with you and your child?

What I need advice on is how to help him with his emotions. He cries most days at school. Pretty much if he doesn't get his own way or if he wants to play with someone and they dont want to play with him. He's already being made fun of because he cries a lot. Just wondered if anyone else's child is similar to this and what you have done to help them deal with their emotions or if school or external source have done anything to support them.

Also how have school helped your child to focus if that is also an issue with them.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and sorry it's so long!

Parents
  • I found that to get any help you have to be persistent. Don't accept the first answer they give. Keep fighting and knowledge, learn, read and find a copy of codes of practice for education (there are pdf files online)

As for your little dude, my son was very emotional and we had to learn coping strategies together. He has his 'out of the situation' strategy which is music and a quiet part of the outside (at school it was the playground which we previously agreed with the staff and SENCO) We also had Digby the friendly Dragon (a hand puppet my son would talk to every day after school and before story time) It seemed to help him let out his anxieties and frustrations and of course, I found out about issues there were without asking directly. 

We still have emotion cards and books with pictures so that he can let others know how he's feeling or the traffic lights cards for when he feels a meltdown coming on. There are some great places online to get templates for these. 

Obviously each child is different and these may not help you at all but perhaps you could try something similar? 

I do hope you carry on being a strong mother. Thoughts and prayers for you and yours. 

• I found that to get any help you have to be persistent. Don't accept the first answer they give. Keep fighting and knowledge, learn, read and find a copy of codes of practice for education (there are pdf files online)

As for your little dude, my son was very emotional and we had to learn coping strategies together. He has his 'out of the situation' strategy which is music and a quiet part of the outside (at school it was the playground which we previously agreed with the staff and SENCO) We also had Digby the friendly Dragon (a hand puppet my son would talk to every day after school and before story time) It seemed to help him let out his anxieties and frustrations and of course, I found out about issues there were without asking directly. 

We still have emotion cards and books with pictures so that he can let others know how he's feeling or the traffic lights cards for when he feels a meltdown coming on. There are some great places online to get templates for these. 

Obviously each child is different and these may not help you at all but perhaps you could try something similar? 

I do hope you carry on being a strong mother. Thoughts and prayers for you and yours. 

Children
No Data