Support after autism diagnosis. Please could you read my description as I would really like some advice.

My son is now 7 years old and is in Year 2 at a mainstream primary school. He does NOT have a statement or whatever it's called now.

When he was diagnosed back in 2013 we were given his diagnosis and it was pretty much there's the diagnosis. Now get on with the rest of your lives. Absolutely no support.

Is that the same with you and your child?

What I need advice on is how to help him with his emotions. He cries most days at school. Pretty much if he doesn't get his own way or if he wants to play with someone and they dont want to play with him. He's already being made fun of because he cries a lot. Just wondered if anyone else's child is similar to this and what you have done to help them deal with their emotions or if school or external source have done anything to support them.

Also how have school helped your child to focus if that is also an issue with them.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and sorry it's so long!

Parents
  • I feel for you. We were given the diagnosis and sent on our way. Apart from NAS, the best help we have had is from going on Berkshire Autism courses and days out and talking to other parents in the same situation.

My son is 10 and does not have a statement or EHCP as they are now know. We found a local school with more ASD knowledge and moved him. Our only regret is that I didn't do it sooner, but knowing how change can have such a huge impact we put it off.

Not sure which area you are from, but it might be worth looking at Mencap and other local autism charity as to what they have to offer, even if it's a parents social group, you learn a huge amount from other parents. 

Wish you all the best. Emma x

• Hi Emma,

Thank you so much for replying. I live in Southampton. Also the days out you have done is that with Berkshire Autism?

Reply Children
No Data