need advice

Hi there

I have a 4 year old son who has asd (just recently diagnosed). He is very hyperactive and struggles with frustration. He roars all the time and where he doesn't understand personal space he does it right in your face. He is a very big 4 year old and his behaviour is scaring his little sister who is 2. He doesn't listen and doesn't understand that he scares her. Does anyone have any advice to try to calm this behaviour?

Parents
  • Hi Monkey,

Did you look at the fedup website? One of the reasons I ask is that you mentioned that your son likes smoothies. I expect that these have a lot of fruit in them? The fedup site pushes the theory that a lot of fruits are a source of problems for some ASD people. At this point I can't say that their theory is right but I have found that there is a thing called "Oral Allergy Syndrome" that is a very real allergic type syndrome. If someone has this syndrome then it can basically play havoc with their intestines and I believe that this can cause such discomfort and upset to the body that it can lead to psychological symptoms.

I'm trying to work out if I have this and so far I seem to react quite badly to apples and some types of tomatoes. It seems that my reaction to apples is severe stomach cramps followed by my guts being paralysed for several days.

I also have a theory that some "fussy eating" arises because there is some genuine aversion to perhaps a chemical taste in some foods. This seems to me more reasonable than the person just randomly deciding not to eat X or Y.

I used the word "theory" a lot above. I don't want to suggest that there is a miracle cure but it seems to me that it wouldn't cost anything to try out the fedup exclusion diet and there is a possibility that it might work for some people like your son.

• Hi Monkey,

Did you look at the fedup website? One of the reasons I ask is that you mentioned that your son likes smoothies. I expect that these have a lot of fruit in them? The fedup site pushes the theory that a lot of fruits are a source of problems for some ASD people. At this point I can't say that their theory is right but I have found that there is a thing called "Oral Allergy Syndrome" that is a very real allergic type syndrome. If someone has this syndrome then it can basically play havoc with their intestines and I believe that this can cause such discomfort and upset to the body that it can lead to psychological symptoms.

I'm trying to work out if I have this and so far I seem to react quite badly to apples and some types of tomatoes. It seems that my reaction to apples is severe stomach cramps followed by my guts being paralysed for several days.

I also have a theory that some "fussy eating" arises because there is some genuine aversion to perhaps a chemical taste in some foods. This seems to me more reasonable than the person just randomly deciding not to eat X or Y.

I used the word "theory" a lot above. I don't want to suggest that there is a miracle cure but it seems to me that it wouldn't cost anything to try out the fedup exclusion diet and there is a possibility that it might work for some people like your son.

Children
No Data