need advice

Hi there

I have a 4 year old son who has asd (just recently diagnosed). He is very hyperactive and struggles with frustration. He roars all the time and where he doesn't understand personal space he does it right in your face. He is a very big 4 year old and his behaviour is scaring his little sister who is 2. He doesn't listen and doesn't understand that he scares her. Does anyone have any advice to try to calm this behaviour?

Parents
  • Hi there

Thank you for the welcome and comment. My son is verbal, he has sensory issues with loud noises, smell, taste and his personal space. He has alot of anger issues but he is very attached to me and seems to crave any touch from me. He was at nursery and loved it but about to start school. He has always roared alot but has got worse as he has gotten older. He does it at home and in other enviroments, nothing seems to set him off. He could be doing something nice and quiet and then just suddenly roar. I have just had diagnosis from peadiatrician and am waiting for an appointment for nurse to come see us. I also have an early years practioner come see us but she just frustrates me everytime I see her. Before diagnosis she said there was nothing wrong with him she basically thought he was a normal child with minor behavioural problems. Which makes no sense as he was classed as critical safety risk at nursery and couple of times had to evacuate due to his tantrums. Now he has a diagnosis she still tells me to treat him as a normal child because she doesn't want to admit she was wrong but the peadiatrician said actually he is high functioning but struggles alot and she doesn't think he will cope in main stream school.

• Hi there

Thank you for the welcome and comment. My son is verbal, he has sensory issues with loud noises, smell, taste and his personal space. He has alot of anger issues but he is very attached to me and seems to crave any touch from me. He was at nursery and loved it but about to start school. He has always roared alot but has got worse as he has gotten older. He does it at home and in other enviroments, nothing seems to set him off. He could be doing something nice and quiet and then just suddenly roar. I have just had diagnosis from peadiatrician and am waiting for an appointment for nurse to come see us. I also have an early years practioner come see us but she just frustrates me everytime I see her. Before diagnosis she said there was nothing wrong with him she basically thought he was a normal child with minor behavioural problems. Which makes no sense as he was classed as critical safety risk at nursery and couple of times had to evacuate due to his tantrums. Now he has a diagnosis she still tells me to treat him as a normal child because she doesn't want to admit she was wrong but the peadiatrician said actually he is high functioning but struggles alot and she doesn't think he will cope in main stream school.

Children
No Data