Speaking at School

So I'm 15 with ASD and cannot speak at school, I really want to speak to people but somthing just stops me and I end up not speaking to anyone ever... 

Any Advise would be great :)

Parents
  • I have two daughters who are only able to say thing they know will elicit a positive response. They can never say no, ask for help, etc.

My older daughter finds it easier to communicate with teachers by email.

My younger daughter has some communcation cards in her pocket with some simple phrases that she can't say out loud and she shows these to teachers.

She is also going to start working with a speech therapist who will work on role playing difficult situations with her. Once she's used to saying things with just the speech therapist the plan is to bring in some of the teaching staff so she can do the same role plays with them. Hopefully having said things several times in role play will allow her to feel more able to say exactly the same words in real situations when she needs to.

I don't know if these are strategies you could adapt to your situation?

It sounds like you have selective mutism and it can be treated by speech and language therapists. Have you had a speech and language assessment? 

• I have two daughters who are only able to say thing they know will elicit a positive response. They can never say no, ask for help, etc.

My older daughter finds it easier to communicate with teachers by email.

My younger daughter has some communcation cards in her pocket with some simple phrases that she can't say out loud and she shows these to teachers.

She is also going to start working with a speech therapist who will work on role playing difficult situations with her. Once she's used to saying things with just the speech therapist the plan is to bring in some of the teaching staff so she can do the same role plays with them. Hopefully having said things several times in role play will allow her to feel more able to say exactly the same words in real situations when she needs to.

I don't know if these are strategies you could adapt to your situation?

It sounds like you have selective mutism and it can be treated by speech and language therapists. Have you had a speech and language assessment? 

Children
No Data