Autistic child struggling to cope after starting school

So I just want some advice for how to help my autistic son. For clarity I should also add that I am autistic too, although my wife isn't.

My son started school in September for the first time and ever since he is really struggling. Every evening he comes home and has meltdowns then crashes and just sits on the sofa zoned out like a zombie. Everything upsets him, even the slightest little thing that is different from his routine or the way he wants things makes him dissolve into tears, crying his eyes out.

I hate seeing him like this and I just want to help him. The thing is, he is so shattered after school that he's not up to doing anything else. So we end up doing nothing as a family, like in the evening and weekends. Now what I'm not sure of is is this good for him? Is this what he needs? Because I don't want him and us to end up doing nothing but equally I don't want to force him to go out and do stuff he's not up to, because as an autistic person myself I know how destressing that feels. 

Any help or advice with this or general coping strategies for him with school would be greatly appreciated

Parents
  • I am a dual certified retired teacher living in southern Nevada. While I cannot speak in detail about schools in the United Kingdom might I ask if your son has a clinical diagnosis of autism? If so, is the school aware that your son is autistic? 

The first year of school can be incredibly stressful insofar as it involves going someplace that your child has never been and having to interact with people whom he doesn't know. Unless the teacher has a schedule up that shows squential pictures of coming activities, your child will also be in a stiuation in which he doesn't know how his day will unfold and what will happen next. 

Since the average primary teacher often wants his or her classroom to look welcoming, the classroom may be over cluttered with colorful bulletin boards, plastic cartons of toys, posters and other things that can become visual distractions to people with autism. 

My suggestion would be to bring your concerns to the atttention to the classroom teacher and whoever is in charge of this school.

• I am a dual certified retired teacher living in southern Nevada. While I cannot speak in detail about schools in the United Kingdom might I ask if your son has a clinical diagnosis of autism? If so, is the school aware that your son is autistic? 

The first year of school can be incredibly stressful insofar as it involves going someplace that your child has never been and having to interact with people whom he doesn't know. Unless the teacher has a schedule up that shows squential pictures of coming activities, your child will also be in a stiuation in which he doesn't know how his day will unfold and what will happen next. 

Since the average primary teacher often wants his or her classroom to look welcoming, the classroom may be over cluttered with colorful bulletin boards, plastic cartons of toys, posters and other things that can become visual distractions to people with autism. 

My suggestion would be to bring your concerns to the atttention to the classroom teacher and whoever is in charge of this school.

Children
No Data